• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4.6 swap wiring

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
For those who have performed a 4.6 swap how did you approach the wiring?

I plan to do a swap however I would like to find out the best easiest and/or the most cost effective approach before getting started on any wiring.

Thanks

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
whatever computer and wiring harness that came with the motor would be best. use all original sensors, injectors, intake etc.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
whatever computer and wiring harness that came with the motor would be best. use all original sensors, injectors, intake etc.

X2. My buddy just re-worked the harness and removed the wires he didn't need after test fitting and firing up the engine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You do realize there are probably a dozen different major engine/wiring/computer combos for the 4.6

Everything from a simple EEC-IV used from '91 to about '95.
Car, truck, 2 valve, 3 valve, 4 valve, blower, drive by wire, etc.
Some will swap as easy as a 5.0 mustang, some will take some major expertise and a few hundred hours of debugging if it can even be debugged.

So what 4.6 engine are you planning on using? Without knowing that any other answer is totally pointless.

Dude seriously

Loc.
Everett
Not to derail the intent of the post, but how do you plan on fitting a 4.6 between the rails? I toyed with the idea but concluded it wouldn't fit without major fab work.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Custon made motor mounts, notch the frame here and there. Alter the fire wall so the EGR fits. :p That was for a 4.6 out of a Mach VIII.

It can be done...question is how bad does he want it? ;D

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
The 4.6 will be of the 96-98 type I will have the entire 4.6 engine/body harness and ECU. As far as fitting the 4.6, everything is custom anyway. (There are plenty of folks that have done this mod)

I have all the parts for a 5.0 EFI conversion on a 302 and was wondering if it is similar. Wanted to hear how others have approached this to start getting ideas.
I also contacted RJM to learn what options are available... I was wondering if the engine harness can be sent off and modified cheaper than buying a new harness.

Would it be similar approach as a 5.0 harness, use the Stock Bronco harness(or Centech,painless,etc...) and modify the donor engine harness removing the unnessary items?
What would be unnecessary if the harness is from the doner?

(I have a running thread on my build)
"Streetrod bronco"

Attachments

• _ED11149.jpg
    _ED11149.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 59
  • cobra 2.jpg
    cobra 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 79
  • cobra 5.jpg
    cobra 5.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 69

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
What would be unnecessary if the harness is from the doner?
That's up to you. If you want your eB to have ABS, keep it; if not, either delete those circuits, or just abandon them in the harness until you find a use for them (years from now). The ABS wiring runs to basically the same places that underbody lights might go. It's up to you & your imagination...

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
What other extra items might I find in the engine harness that may not be necessary? (at least at this time)

OP
OP
77bronco_ed

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
I want air....Sounds like the harness is good to go as is?

Thanks for the feedback.

-Ed

rutcutter

What gas tank and fuel pump do you use? Fuel line size? Steering column? I am planning on putting a 4.6 in a half cab.