• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 Defrost ducts

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I have my dash apart in my 66 and the defrost ducts in the dash are not in good shape. Has anyone tried to repair these or made new ones? To the best of my knowledge, nobody reproduces the early ducts.

zombie66

Loc.
Beaverton, oregon
when I first bought my '66 about 11 years ago i had the same issue and I just used some grey "duct" tape. I was redoing my dash recently and I noticed that the tape I put on origionally was lifting a little on the edges but overall looked pretty good.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
when I first bought my '66 about 11 years ago i had the same issue and I just used some grey "duct" tape. I was redoing my dash recently and I noticed that the tape I put on origionally was lifting a little on the edges but overall looked pretty good.

I was just looking at them again this evening, I'm going to do a little patch work on mine with pieces cut from the old glove box liner. I'm getting a new glove box and the materials they are made of look similar so we will have to see if that works.

zombie66

Loc.
Beaverton, oregon
One thing I did this last time working on my dash, was one of the cardboard duct pieces was splitting apart. So I mixed up some 2 part epoxy clamped it together until it set and then smeared the outside of the cardboard with the epoxy. It worked great and wont need replacing anytime soon.
Between some epoxy and your glovebox pieces you should be able to make up something that will work good. Good luck.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id do the epoxy thing or better yet get one of them fiberglass repair kits and glass the duct over.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Id do the epoxy thing or better yet get one of them fiberglass repair kits and glass the duct over.

I had that thought as well, I had some concern about the glass sticking but I think it would work. I have the vents clamped together with some adhesive where the two halves are splitting apart as we speak. Once thats done I'll work on repairing the missing pieces.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Worst case it doesnt stick to the duct and you effectively have a new fiberglass duct.