• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 TFI Distributor Issue

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I am getting so close to firing this up I can taste it. But I have some difficult issues to deal with first.

I stabbed the distributor and it will not seat all the way in the block. It is a hard stop metal on metal but stops short about 1/8"

Anyone see this issue before? Do I have the wrong Distributor? It came off a mustang in a junk yard.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
You may have the distributor that has a longer shaft. Put it next to the original and check. If it is longer on the bottom you can cut it. Why Ford did it is not clear, but it will be fine cut the same length as the original. Pictures of them side by side would help.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
that or you need to rotae crank just a lil for the cam gears to mesh

My pertromix was a bitch about that, new tfi drops in so sweet!

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
You gotta be kidding me. Man all these little issues get frustrating as hell.

I will check it when I get home tonight but I don't think I have the stock one anymore. Maybe I'll just order a new one from parts store.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I'll look at it and see what it take to cut it as well but I'd have to cut the part that connects to the oil pump shaft too right?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
bet ya wiggle your crank it drops in (NOT that CRANK!).....and it wont effect your timing the teeth are already where they need to be.

dredgenot

I had the same problem. I didn't want to force it, so I left alone and tried starting the engine. After a couple of tries I was able to seat the distributor with the holding clamp. I don't know why it would not seat, but it would not move until I spun the engine a few times. The engine runs great with no problems at all.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Ok, I will try and turn the crank a touch. Thanks for that tip.

Funny thing is the tool that Shamu lent me to prime the pump sat right in with no problems.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The shaft lengths are all the same. It just needs to seat. crank the motor and push down on the dist. It will seat.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It'll seat down with some crank movement. Make sure you align the rotor to #1 terminal on the cap so the injectors fire at the right time. In other words don't just arbitrarily pick a terminal to use as #1 as you can with a carb.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Thanks for the tips guys. I won't cut anything and will try turning the crank a touch. I do have everything lined up as close as possible but with the piston at TDC (or as close as I can tell), the rotor is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off from the number 1 on the cap. Is that close enough? I did try and restab the distro one tooth over and it was further away so I moved it back to get as close as possible.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
With only 8 teeth on the distributor gear the closest one is going to be the closest one. You can turn the distributor once it's seated to get it lined up and timed. Make sure you have plenty of wiggle room back and forth.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Yeah, I'm sure I will have to grind on the serp bracket once it's all said and done but hoping I get lucky and hit the sweet spot ;)

jlake4130

Loc.
phoenix, az
I don't know if its the same but my buddies ford 400 would have the same issue droping the dist. Always about an 1/8" wouldn't seat. So we would have to get a long 5/16th nut driver to line up the oil pump shaft with the dist. Then it would drop every time.

ljspop

Loc.
San Marcos, Ca
x2 or 3 on the wiggle the crank. lining up the pump shaft is a beeatch too because you don't know where the correct alignment is once the dist starts spinning down. You might get the .5" when it fully seats and spins into place. I wouldn't cut it, the end is tapered to help you, if you cut that off you'll really be hosed I'd think.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, I will try and turn the crank a touch. Thanks for that tip.

Most of the time, the problem (as they've said) is the oil pump shaft not aligning with the opening in the bottom of the dizzy shaft, but the shaft can't turn any farther due to the gear mesh with the cam. That's why turning the crank will let it seat that last bit.
Most of the time.

Funny thing is the tool that Shamu lent me to prime the pump sat right in with no problems.

That's because the oil primer does not have the cam gear attached to get in the way. All you have to do with a primer is line up the shafts. No gears to get in the way.

I don't know if its the same but my buddies ford 400 would have the same issue droping the dist. Always about an 1/8" wouldn't seat. So we would have to get a long 5/16th nut driver to line up the oil pump shaft with the dist. Then it would drop every time.

It's exactly the same. While old GM vehicles used a "blade" design (like a screwdriver blade) to drive the pump, our Fords use a hex shaped shaft. It can look real close, but is not quite right on the money. The GM blade-style has a very large curve and bevel to it's edges, so that a slight misalignment will usually result in the two shafts self-aligning and dropping right in. If they don't, you're simply too far out of align and can slightly turn the pump shaft to get it closer. With them, close is sometimes good enough. With the Ford, you've got to be almost right on the money or it won't go in.
What you were doing with turning the shaft by hand, is the same thing as turning the crank with a wrench. So instead of the distributor being turned to align with the pump shaft, you guys were turning the pump shaft to align with the distributor.

Now, on to the potential bad news Izzy. Some of us here (including me) have run into a snag with the pump shaft being held up too high in the bore by the retaining clip/ring thing. Or, since that clip really isn't supposed to hold it up, maybe the shaft was hung up or too long or something.. We measured thirteen different ways, and determined that the only thing that was going to let the distributor seat that last 1/16" was to push the shaft farther down.
With a socket and extension then, we gave it a couple of light smacks with a hammer, and we got that last little bit.
(edit: Now that I think about it, I'm going to have to talk to my friend who's engine it was and make sure we didn't have to pull the shaft. Pretty sure we didn't though. I'd remember having to do that!)
There were a few discussions about that a few years ago here, if I remember, but I ran into this last year when putting a new/rebuilt Mustang TFI setup into an '86 or '89 (don't remember which) engine block that had been rebuilt and running before, by the PO of the engine.
So if twisting the engine or lining up the pump shaft don't do it Izzy, take a couple of quick measurements of the height of the shaft above the base block casting, and the depth of the hole in the distributor shaft, so you can be sure you're not just running out of room on the shaft.

Good luck.

Paul