• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dash pad or cover?

Airborne_Sapper

Loc.
Fayetteville
has anyone used the dash pad cover that bronco graveyard sales? or is it best to go with a new pad all together. trying to decide which route to go. any suggestions or ideas are appreicated.

JLBachs

Haven't used them but I've seen them - If you want it to look flawless to the most critical eye, go new. If you don't mind that someone really picking might notice up near the windshield frame or on a side (really, really picking) that it's a cover, go with the cover. Went through this with a '69 mach 1 bought the cover, learned my lesson, then bought the pad.
--OR--
look at it with the pad off for a while and see what you think. My pad was cracked and I never put it back after paint. After seeing it without the pad for a while i really like it better and have no intention of ever buying a pad.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Has anyone had their pad upholstered to match the seats? I was thinking of doing mine in Wimbledon white. Would it cause too much glare in the sun?

Dano 407

Loc.
The Orange Groves
Yes! I have used the glue on plastic dash cover for years. It works great and you cant even tell its there. I am doing a frame off right now and will reinstall it. I think I bought it in about 1995; pretty durable.

OP
OP
Airborne_Sapper

Airborne_Sapper

Loc.
Fayetteville
Haven't used them but I've seen them - If you want it to look flawless to the most critical eye, go new. If you don't mind that someone really picking might notice up near the windshield frame or on a side (really, really picking) that it's a cover, go with the cover. Went through this with a '69 mach 1 bought the cover, learned my lesson, then bought the pad.
--OR--
look at it with the pad off for a while and see what you think. My pad was cracked and I never put it back after paint. After seeing it without the pad for a while i really like it better and have no intention of ever buying a pad.

LBachs
do you have some pics of your dash with out the pad? i am really interested in what it looks like.

69for5

Loc.
Olive Branch
dash pad

I took the pad off as well and IMO it looks much better

Attachments

• 2011-07-17_19-06-10_104.jpg
    2011-07-17_19-06-10_104.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 157

rwill

I put my cover on at time of painting fits very well I am satisfied with the look.

OP
OP
Airborne_Sapper

Airborne_Sapper

Loc.
Fayetteville
69for5, thanks for the pic. also everyone else thanks for the input. think i am going to go without the pad for a while and see if i like it. i can always buy either the cover or pad down the road.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Ditto. I run without. Wish they made the early style with the later defroster layout.

I prefer no pad unless it's the early pad. The early ones aren't so big and bulky looking.

BigPrince

Loc.
Atlanta
Ditto. I run without. Wish they made the early style with the later defroster layout.

Does the early pad have different cutouts for the defrost vs later year pad?
Did not know about that difference. Learn something new every day :)