• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Class 8 Tow Rig Build Thread

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
In search of a new tow rig for my Bronco I wanted something better than my Expedition. I also wanted to be able to also have a bed and shower after a day of wheeling. I considered an class C motorhome but many of them had the same drivetrain as my Expedition and a diesel powered one was expensive. Since the start of my search I helped Broncitis paint his Volvo and really liked the idea of a real truck to tow with. I considered a MDT and after talking with Drew and reading the HDT section of www.escapees.com I decided on a HDT and shortly found a 2000 Volvo VNL64T class 8 truck. It had already had the motorhome title work done already so I wouldn't have any hassles at the DMV. I flew down to Florida last November to look at it and have a shop take a good long look at it. After alot of time on the phone and many e-mails, a month later we struck a deal. I flew down again, got the fluids and filters changed and I hit the road from Fort Myers Florida bound for Maryland. A day and a half later I was home.
Since coming home I've sold the box and got a 70" sleeper. I'm going to build a bed on the back to haul the Bronco and tow a camper. I could have built a toterhome out of the box but it had some damage on the drivers side. I also need to haul the family in it so the layout with the door didn't have a good floor plan to put in seats so I decided to sell it.

Attachments

• volvo 1-15-11 001.jpg
    volvo 1-15-11 001.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
OP
OP
allenfahey

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
The sleeper I got was in pretty bad shape. It was stored outside and got quite a bit of water damage inside but I needed to redo anyways to put in seats. I decided to get a fourth row van seat to for the kids. I gutted it and redid the floor, insulation, and built a new cabinet for the fridge and microwave. I have room to add a sink or another cabinet but haven't decided what to do yet. I have a bed that folds down above the seat. I plan to add windows, an outside shower, tv/video for the kids, and an inverter later.

Attachments

• sleeper 001.jpg
    sleeper 001.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 197
  • sleeper 003.jpg
    sleeper 003.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 182
  • sleeper 005.jpg
    sleeper 005.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 180
  • sleeper 004.jpg
    sleeper 004.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 190
  • sleeper 002.jpg
    sleeper 002.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 194
OP
OP
allenfahey

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I've been able to do all this during the day at work when I'm slow over the last few months. My boss is an awesome lady who lets us do these projects at the shop. I painted the top first since I had to lean on the sides.
The inside isn't done yet but here's a few more of the sleeper.

Attachments

• sleeper 001.jpg
    sleeper 001.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 141
  • sleeper 002.jpg
    sleeper 002.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 147
  • sleeper 003.jpg
    sleeper 003.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 148
OP
OP
allenfahey

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Last week we used the tow truck and some pipe for rollers to remove the box and delivered the box to my co-workers consignment shop. I removed the seats, rear window, and back interior trim. I measured 4-5 times and cut out the back for the access to the sleeper. I didn't get any pictures of removing the box.

Attachments

• P1070391.jpg
    P1070391.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 162
  • P1070382.jpg
    P1070382.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 142
  • P1070383.jpg
    P1070383.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 143

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey Allen , that's gonna be trick!!! I saw the rig at Gore and you said you were going to work it over!!! Look's good!! What makes me think it may have a real slick paint job on it?????;D;D;D

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
allen, i scoped out your rig at gore. curious what it was used for previously? film industry maybe? the airbag hitch set up was pretty interesting. should make for a neat build. keep us posted & thanks for sharing
N

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Looking good Allen!

Let me know if you want to go with a set of the Bronco Special Decore stripes like we have on ours or maybe we can scale up the new Explorer stripe kit we just finished?

Could also do a Ranger type kit I suppose?

HDT's are the way to go for safe, reliable towing for sure! Nothing like being fully loaded and still only at about half or less of what the rig was designed for! ;D

Going to KOH I was at 49K GCVW with 4 rigs on the open trailer, tools, parts and camping gear. That is about as heavy as I have loaded it, still way under the 80K standard load it was designed for.

OP
OP
allenfahey

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
allen, i scoped out your rig at gore. curious what it was used for previously? film industry maybe? the airbag hitch set up was pretty interesting. should make for a neat build. keep us posted & thanks for sharing
N

My Volvo was a lease turn in from Jack In The Box out in CA with only 320,000 miles. I don't know what the box was off of but it was insulated. The previous owner had the air hitch to tow a travel trailer. In order to tow a 5th wheel or travel trailer with a class 8 you need to cushion the trailer with air or else it will destroy the trailer because of the stiff suspension.

Drew,
I think I'm going to 2 tone it around the hood to the fairings under the door and back to the bed when it gets built. I haven't decided on silver or black yet.

I removed a large brace when I cut out the access hole. I decided to relocate it to the top of the cutout and cut it out to fill in the rest of the window. I also used some 1 1/2" angle to brace up the rest of the hole. Got a body man to weld it in using the Pro Spot welder for me. The outside is in primer and seam sealer on window seam.

Attachments

• P1070407.jpg
    P1070407.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 120
  • P1070406.jpg
    P1070406.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 126
  • P1070405.jpg
    P1070405.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 156
  • P1070403.jpg
    P1070403.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 144
  • P1070398.jpg
    P1070398.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 128
  • P1070394.jpg
    P1070394.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 135
OP
OP
allenfahey

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I got to work early and painted the roof and rear of the cab. I also had time to take off the mirrors, fairings, and loosened the bolts to the doors. Next week I should be able to cut-in in the jambs and paint the cab of the truck.
The sleeper is ready to go on now.

Attachments

• Volvo painting 001.jpg
    Volvo painting 001.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Volvo painting 002.jpg
    Volvo painting 002.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 145

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Loving it Allen,can't wait to see this be built.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
What is the chance you will have this at the Wrench & Roast in two weeks?

4lofun

I go to the escapee link and get a page of ads.hotels.scooters and bung of trashy links..is that the right link?
Nice color and awesome build..can't wait to see eb on its tail.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Allen, wow - looking very good. That is going to be awesome. I like the color choice.

What are your plans for the flat bed? Wood deck? Dove tail? It's going to take some long ramp to get up there!! Too bad you can't find a used short roll back and mount it.

OP
OP
allenfahey

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
What is the chance you will have this at the Wrench & Roast in two weeks?

It will be cutting it close. It definatly won't be fully finished. I will still need to build the bed and figure out the trim from the cut out.

The link is fixed.... www.escapees.com

Scoop,
My plan is to make the bed look least commercial as possible. Kinda like this but tandem.

Attachments

• rvready_truck.png
    rvready_truck.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 227