• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A.M Radio and CB Noise

jarch

I hope a fellow Bronco Enthusiast can help.

When the Engine on my Bronco (302) is not on, the A.M. radio and CB work fine. When the engine is running, I get severe noise so much so that I can't tune in any A.M. stations and the CB does not get reception. The noise appears to have a different pitch with engine RPM. I do not have a capacitor on my voltage regulator. Both the radio and CB are connected through the Fuse Box. The ammeter needle also fluctuates.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a fix and if it involves a noise supression capacitor, can you please provide a reccomendation for a good one and help describe how and where to install it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not only that, but add a few grounding circuits to the whole truck. Broncos are particularly susceptible to radio noise, but I think especially after all these years have added their corrosion to the mix.
The fuse box is a nasty collection of rusty contacts, and the voltages are probably lower than optimal even at the main feed lines anyway.
Add to that the missing radio noise suppressors (at least 2 of them), and you've got a recipe.

One goes on the positive side of the coil and one goes on the Yellow wire at the voltage regulator. My PO added four more, to various points on the truck. Including two that were of different ratings, simply bolted to the body panels!

Paul

chase8266

Loc.
vegas/slc/medford,OR
is your alternator old does it need to be replaced?
the wires going to and from alt and voltage regulator in good shape?
have you always had this problem?
or did it happen when you changed something?

p/s been cdl driver for 10yrs now and the only time i thought i needed a noise suppressor is when that cb was a bad radio.but i have not put one in my bronco yet so i can only help you so far with that

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Other things to also consider is spark plugs and wires if you run non resistor plugs and solid core type wires you'll get noise in the radios. So make sure you have resistor plugs and wires.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The mechanical voltage regulator is a big noise maker. Consider upgrading to an electronic one. A point set condensor would make a good noise suppressor.

markperry

Bronco Guru
I was having this same issue. When listening to my AM sports stations I got a lot of really load noise that sounded like the distributer was in the radio.

I happened to be messing around with the antenna one day and noticed that the wire from the antenna to the back of the radio was hagging on by a thread. I replaced the antenna and the noise was gone. Something to check!

69for5

Loc.
Olive Branch
I've had that whine before with the rpms, and it was the ground.........be careful tho, if u take the radio out you have to remove the transfer case, which leads into removing a door, then one leaf spring and the front bumper :)

OP
OP
J

jarch

Thanks gents. I will try these - probably in order of easiest first :)

I do have spare points capacitors. How would one of these be used as a noise supressor? Would you connect in series through a hot wire to the device?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...be careful tho, if u take the radio out you have to remove the transfer case, which leads into removing a door, then one leaf spring and the front bumper :)

You forgot the roof too! Or did you figure out how to get the radio out without taking off the hard top, windshield wiper and passenger seat?

Hah! Good one 69. That's the perfect description of any small Bronco project.
The old "one thing leads to another" scenario.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I do have spare points capacitors. How would one of these be used as a noise supressor? Would you connect in series through a hot wire to the device?

Nope. More like in parallel. I think? Might have my phraseology mixed with my metaphors, but I think you're on to it.

Just tap the wire from the capacitor/condenser thingy into the circuit in question near the termination point. Then ground the body/case of the condenser to the nearest body part.

On both the coil "+" and regulator's "A" wire (Yellow), the factory had them pigtailed off the ends. So the coil had the noise suppressor on a couple of inches of wire, and mounted to the coil's mount. If you're using a stock coil mount still, you can see the little tab with screw hole.
Same for the regulator. A short (3 or 4 inches) wire came out of the same connector as the Yellow wire and the suppressor was mounted to one of the regulator's attaching bolts.

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I'd always start at the battery. If you don't have good connections there, nothing else will work right. Read these captions:

Then inspect the alternator, ignition system, antenna wiring, & radio grounding. If all that is good, you shouldn't need any more noise filters. The stock capacitor goes near the voltage regulator A terminal. If you have persistent ignition noise, add one near the coil positive.