• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hood clearance

JLBachs

I am having trouble with gas boiling in the Edelbrock. When i went to the explorer serp and aftermarket intake, I did not buy a carb spacer because I figured there would be clearance issues. I really want to add that spacer now. To see how many inches (or fractions thereof) I have between the breather and the hood, the most effective thing I've thought of is to go buy a can of play-doh and set it on top of the breather with some wax paper over the top so it doesn't try to stick to the hood; shut, open, measure. My question is, is there a better way of doing this that doesn't involve a grown-up standing in line at the store to buy play-doh? Thanks in advance for any advice. Don't post a huge amount but read a lot and the knowledge out there is humbling.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Play dough is your best bet to find out how much actual clearance you have. Not real sure on your edelbrock and manifold but clearance is usually very tight with 4v carbs and intakes. Another possibility is that you can just install a thicker gasket there is a felpro one that is 1/4" thick I beleive mr gasket also has 1/4 thick gaskets

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
I had a 1" spacer under my edlebrock, a 4" air cleaner on a drop base but also a 2" body lift it that helps. basicly if whet you put on doesnt go above the cowell
deck (flat deck where the vents are under rear of hood) it will fit.

OP
OP
JLBachs

JLBachs

Thanks to everyone who responded. I guess my plumber's putty had been around to long - there was just a rock in the can. I went ahead and bought the play-doh and endured the commentary from the cashier - it was a lot better than buying k-y jelly to lubricate o-rings I guess. Only 1 1/8 inches from air filter to the hood brace. Guess it's time for a scoop or a body-lift.

Tuck

Play-doh has been used to check clearance on retracted landing gear on jet fighters. It's not exactly what the job guide calls for, but you have to do what you have to do. If it's good enough for F-16s, it's good enough for Broncos!!!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
They sell 1/2" and 3/4" spacers as well. but I've always had good results with the 1/4" thick gaskets.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If you're embarrassed to go to Toys-R-Us and buy playdough, go Michael's and ask for modeling clay. Wear a scarf and use a French accent and they'll think you're an artist! ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you're embarrassed to go to Toys-R-Us and buy playdough, go Michael's and ask for modeling clay. Wear a scarf and use a French accent and they'll think you're an artist! ;D

Yeah then they will know he's gay for sure;D

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Haha. I guess it's not as bad as buying finger nail polish to lock in the calibration screw for an oven thermostat. There's just no way to look cool while buying nail polish. ;D

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Haha. I guess it's not as bad as buying finger nail polish to lock in the calibration screw for an oven thermostat. There's just no way to look cool while buying nail polish. ;D

Especially when you have trouble picking a color.;)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
haha;D I use clear nail polish as lock tight on my scope mounts. luckily a bottle lasts a long time.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Especially when you have trouble picking a color.;)

No trouble there, I always buy black. ;D
Most guys use red or blue, so by using an odd color I can tell if someone else has adjusted it since I did. But there is something not right about a 50+ fat white guy buying black nail polish.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
No trouble there, I always buy black. ;D
Most guys use red or blue, so by using an odd color I can tell if someone else has adjusted it since I did. But there is something not right about a 50+ fat white guy buying black nail polish.

Hey Kabong, you're in California - just another middle-aged Goth. No big deal.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Only 1 1/8 inches from air filter to the hood brace. Guess it's time for a scoop or a body-lift.

Before you resort to cutting (I can't believe I said that%)) I purchased 2 air cleaners that solved my problem. 1 I bought for the dropped base and the second was I think a Mr Gasket air cleaner for Corvette's. It had a very flat top with recessed wing nut. I tracked it down because I noticed the biggest interference I had was the wing nut hitting the brace on the hood. I was running a 289 with Performer289 intake, Edelbrock carb with Mr Gasket heat shield/gasket. Worked great for me and kept me from cutting the hood.

OP
OP
JLBachs

JLBachs

Holy Moly! Decided to go with the Edelbrock 1/2" wood laminate spacer (leaving .625" clearance) and the difference is night and day! Drove between 650 and 700 miles today from Lawrenceville, IL to Panama City Beach, FL and every time I stopped - no matter how short or long the stop - it fired right back up. That spacer is going to save the starter a lot of cranking!