• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame lenghthening tips

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What is the best way to lengthen the frame? I am thinking it would be to slide 3"x4" tubing inside the frame, then spot welding and welding every seam possible. What have you done and pics would be nice. I am thinking a 12" lengthen.

camomog

Loc.
Reno, Nv.
Most that I have seen use 2x4 inside the frame with 1/8" plate welded to it to tighten the gap, the 3x4 is the width of the frame so that would go over the sleave material to match the existing frame. Here is a link to a nicely done stretch http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=274361 , I was looking at stretching mine and have decided to go tube cassis instead.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey rj, my frame guy did what he called a "Z" cut, in the flat area under the seats. It gives you a tongue on the top and bottom and a diagonal weld which he claimed offered more surface area to weld. He cut a piece of frame the same way to insert, I only did a 10" stretch, but you can barely see the welds. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it, when it was being done. He claimed that's how he stretched race cars, drag cars, etc???

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
A longer weld is a stronger joint, so anything OTHER than a vertical cut is an improvement.

But if you want something longer, why not just start with an Explorer? Leave the Bronco frames for people who want Broncos. %)

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Most that I have seen use 2x4 inside the frame with 1/8" plate welded to it to tighten the gap

This is the method I was going to use to stretch my '68 project. I've since tossed the idea and will just go with pushing axles around to lengthen the WB about 8" and preserving my options for tops w/o having to go totally custom not to mention the additional work involved with sheet metal alone.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Z weld or otherwise whats known as fishplating is really needed for stenght.