• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 9 inch, drum brake ?'s

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
I got two '72 broncos. Both with the ford 9 inch with drum brakes. One has 11 inch, the other has 10 inch brakes. Why are there different size brakes on the same stuff?

The 10 inch brake set up does not have the automatic slack adjuster gizmo on them.( The cable and the lever that turns the actual adjuster) Should there be one in there? The reason im asking is because the park brake rod that goes between the forward shoe and the park brake lever is not in there. One side has it and one doesnt so i know there are things missing and was wondering if the adjusters are part of the missing items. FOrgive me for not having technical terms but I hope you know what i mean !

The 11 inch has everything there. Its been all done and rebuilt, but when I got to the 10, OH MAN ! someone has been tweekin on that ! I know that not all drum brakes have the auto adjust. Its just the tweeked out missing parts stuff has me wondering.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ford offered different GVW's and therefore different sized brakes and bearing sizes were one of the main things that determined the axles rating. your 11in setup will have large bearings and would be considered the 3300 lb axle where the one with 10 in brakes will have small bearings and is considered the 2780 lb axle.
Your 10in brakes should have the same parts the 11in has so yes your missing parts on the 10in brakes.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Up until about '74 it was big bearing, big brake, high GVW option or the small bearing, small brake, low GVW package. Last few years it got a little funny and you get some medium bearing axles which are not quite either of the common older ones.

They should all have the self adjusters (maybe the '66 didn't have them?)

DSGStang

Loc.
Katy, TX
Digging up an old thread....

How do you tell if you have a small/medium/large bearing axle?

Is it something I can tell by the VIN or the plate inside the glove box?

My axle code says 18J. And my Brocno is a '75.

Quick & Dirty

'75 are all big bearing.
If it has 11" brakes, it's the old style big bearing flange pattern.
If it has 10" brakes it has the "Torino", "medium duty" or "new style" big bearing pattern.
At some point all 9" went to the new style flange. (80's?) The Explorer 8.8" disk brake uses this pattern, so it makes an easier swap if you have the '74-'75 small brake axle.

bigford.gif
bigbrgtorino.gif

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Digging up an old thread....

How do you tell if you have a small/medium/large bearing axle?

Is it something I can tell by the VIN or the plate inside the glove box?

My axle code says 18J. And my Brocno is a '75.

18 is the small bearing/brake 2780 lb axle, open diff and 3.50 gears. J is power steering.