• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Left me Stranded once again.

RivRat

Have an issue with my 76 bronco with a C4 auto and a dana 20. I was coming home from about a 30 mile trip and I started hearing a really loud whine. When I let off the gas and it would go away, but would come back once I started accelerating again. I was running about 55mph and all of a sudden it came out of gear, I dropped it to 2nd and 1st and nothing, went up to neutural and back to drive still nothing. pulled over and let if sit 30mins while i waited for a ride. I then tried putting it into into 4hi and 4lo unlocked and engaged and went into drive. I got pulled home with TC neutural. when i got home i put it in 2hi and it actually engaged but the trans or tranfercase would make a whine/racket over 10mph when accelerating but nothing when i let off the gas. Im thinking it the TC but im no mechanic. any thoughts?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Drain the tcase oil and see what color it is. Look at the trans dipstick and do the same. The grinding parts will create lots of fine metal particles.