• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warm tranny?

Jano723

Loc.
East Los angeles
The automatic tranny on my 69 takes a while to kick into gear....it takes off on 1st perfect but as I give it gas it seem to take a while to kick into next gear. I noticed once I drive around for a while the gears kick in smoother. Is it just a matter of truck warming up?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
First thing, check the fluid level. Engine running on level ground. Don't overfill, the min and max marks are hot operating temps (about 170°F If I remember right). Filling to the full mark cold will be overfilled when warmed up which will airate the oil and make it overheat.

Next up, probably some internal seals are getting old and hard. They are not sealing up until they get warm. At this point it should be an easy rebuild without burned up parts.