• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas fumes in the garage

wwgx90

Loc.
Cookeville, Tn
Getting gas fumes in the garage overnight. No apparent leaks. The gas cap gasket seal looks to a suspect. Has anyone had this problem? Any local auto stores have a replacement gasket that would work for a quick fix. Thanks for any replies. Going on vacation and would like to get this corrected B/4. Thanks for the replies. Update on this problem: rear tank was changed out to a 23 gal., carbon canister was removed, line was ran back to the new gas tank for vent, the aux tank is not being used, rest of the gas system is original - carb - air cleaner - etc..

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont think they offer a new gasket just new caps. might also be the vent in the cap thats stuck open. I'd also check the fuel lines for any leaks and such.

W650Mike

Loc.
Eastland, Texas
Even a very small leak in a closed shop can generate a lot of smell and can be hard to locate. I chased one for weeks - loose clamp on the vapor lines on a '73.

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
If you have a skid plate or cover, a small leak can be trapped between the tank and plate Not enough to make it to the ground, yet still can present fumes. I had one from the filler hose right at the tank.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I had the same problem until I REINSTALLED the charcoal canister and the canister purge... no more fumes.

Greg

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
FYI, I have the keyed alike locking gas caps, if you call the manufacturer they will sell you just the gaskets. I think it was stant. I guess it all depends on where the fumes are coming from.
Good luck, C-
:cool:

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
does your truck have a plastic main or aux tank? they're bad to crack at the top and let vapors escape. Go the same problem with my aux tank. I need to replace it but rarely use that tank unless I'm drive out of town.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
A leak can ocurr where it does not puddle up on the floor. There can be dirt built up between the skidplate and the rear main tank with gas leaking from a rusty tank. It will stink to high heaven. You didn't say if you had metal or plastic tanks. That would help a lot.

HigginsHorse

Check your sending unit on both tanks if you have two. The O-ring on mine dry rotted and was leaking enough to run down the side and bottom of the tank, but not enough to drip on the garage floor. Still smelled pretty bad.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Bla,bla bla bla, What type of carb and air cleaner do you have??? All the autolite, holly, carter/edelbrock carbs have float bowl vent that are open directly to the air cleaner and if you have a aftermarket open filter your going to smell gas. If you dont want to smell gas then go to FI.You could have everything sealed up and still smell gas cause carbs vent.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you happen to recently purchase a new plastic gas can?

I did...it reeks of gas fumes since the stupid ass inventor designed a cap that vents to the atmosphere instead of designing one like an Eagle can that seals up tight.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I wanted to deep my original cap, but needed a gasket. When I couldn't find one, I went to the parts house and went through all the caps until I found a gasket that looked like it would fit. I took it off the cap and installed it on the old cap. Expensive but it worked.