• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dos Broncos. My '66 and '74.

Tram

Bronco Guru
Well, this thread started out as just my '66. However, earlier this year I picked up another one.. A 1974 Sport.

The specs on the 1966.
Uncut
Power steering out of an F-150.
75-76 Drivetrain 302 and transmission
Dana 30 front with chevy disc brakes.
Ford 9" with drums

Well, I've been trying to pick up a project for years and have never been able to get it done. Well, it finally happened.

A few pics:

DSC_2234.jpg

DSC_2216.jpg

DSC_2221.jpg

DSC_2252.jpg

DSC_2237.jpg

DSC_2239.jpg

DSC_2241.jpg

DSC_2255.jpg

DSC_2247.jpg

DSC_2245.jpg

DSC_2248.jpg

DSC_2291.jpg

The specs on the '74 (I'm learning more and more about this thing everyday.)

1974 with a 70's date code 351W. Has a 3 speed in it, but a '75 C4 is being prepared to be installed.
35" tires. 3.5" unknown suspension lift. Suspected to be Superlift.
Dana 44 front
28 spline Ford 9" - Freshly rebuilt.
Duff front bumper
Northwest Metal 23 gallon tank.
Energy Suspension Bushings
Scion TC seats
Bronco Design Inserts

5e2e5a7y.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Seems to be in pretty good shape. Runs like a top.

There are a few things we need right off the bat, but I'm in no hurry.

I need to figure out the best course of action on the tailgate. It's seen better days. I don't want to buy a new one yet, as I think this one can be salvaged.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru

I need to figure out the best course of action on the tailgate. It's seen better days. I don't want to buy a new one yet, as I think this one can be salvaged.

You can buy the lower tailgate repair panels at most of the vendors looks like it would be easier to go that route.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Are the visors original? Is it a U14?

From what I understand, the visors are original. It's a U15.

You can buy the lower tailgate repair panels at most of the vendors looks like it would be easier to go that route.

Yeh, I've looked at them, but I don't know how to weld. I'm looking at a Millermatic 135 though. I've always wanted to learn to weld.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

I would do whatever I could to save that tailgate, or at least the top portion. Like the eyebrow grille, the top of the tailgate is unique to the '66. The lip is different than the later years.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
I would do whatever I could to save that tailgate, or at least the top portion. Like the eyebrow grille, the top of the tailgate is unique to the '66. The lip is different than the later years.

Yeh, we want to keep the things that were unique to the '66 on it.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
Yeh, I'd like to keep it as close to stock as we can.

Does anyone know if the steering column cover is supposed to be turquoise? Is this piece of any value, if not I'll probably paint it black when we redo the interior.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Yeh, I'd like to keep it as close to stock as we can.

Does anyone know if the steering column cover is supposed to be turquoise? Is this piece of any value, if not I'll probably paint it black when we redo the interior.

The turquoise cover most likely came off of a classic Mustang. Yours is not even an original Bronco piece. All EBs came with a column shifter, so you would have an empty socket there after the floor shift conversion was done. Yours is smooth, so it has been changed at some point.

And what's up with the little blue crystal on the tail light?

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
The turquoise cover most likely came off of a classic Mustang. Yours is not even an original Bronco piece. All EBs came with a column shifter, so you would have an empty socket there after the floor shift conversion was done. Yours is smooth, so it has been changed at some point.

Good to know.. I won't feel bad painting it black.

And what's up with the little blue crystal on the tail light?

Beats me. I really wish someone would have just left that little accent out of the "improvements." New lenses are on the list of things to pick up. I guess it looked really cool in the 70's.. ;)

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I looked at this bronco awaile back it has a really good body for a 66 good luck with it its a good start like other have said save the tailgate.

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
I looked at this bronco awaile back it has a really good body for a 66 good luck with it its a good start like other have said save the tailgate.

You ever sell your mustang?

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
You ever sell your mustang?

No you must be thanking of some one else I looked at it here in Albany GA a guy had it for sale and I went to his ware house and looked at it.Whats your plans to do with it ? He" the po "did some nice up grades to it I thank it must have been a pretty nice bronco before he started on it.Did you buy it in Albany GA if so how far do you live from here?

OP
OP
Tram

Tram

Bronco Guru
No you must be thanking of some one else I looked at it here in Albany GA a guy had it for sale and I went to his ware house and looked at it.Whats your plans to do with it ? He" the po "did some nice up grades to it I thank it must have been a pretty nice bronco before he started on it.Did you buy it in Albany GA if so how far do you live from here?

Ok, one of the guys who looked at it had a Mustang he was trying to sell to get the funds for this one. Thought it might have been you.

Yeh, I picked it up in Albany. The PO is a good friend of mine, he brought it up to Florence, Alabama for me. I tried to buy another 73 or 74 off him back in 2004 or 2005 and was unable. He had this one then and wouldn't sell it to me. Patience is a virtue! :)

I plan to keep it fairly stock and just made a nice street rig out of it, it may see some off road, but it's not going to be a trail rig at all. I'll probably leave it in the hangar and pull it out when the weather is nice.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Yeh, I've looked at them, but I don't know how to weld. I'm looking at a Millermatic 135 though. I've always wanted to learn to weld.
Man, I wish my truck looked that good coming home:)

I was 43 before I started to learn to weld, so it's never too late. Not that I am God's gift to welding, but I can get the job done. My only advice is start welding on projects that you don't mind if they are ugly. Just like anything, practice makes perfect.

Things I have learned the hard way.
Slag in the glove sucks.
Buy a fire extinguisher...or two.(What's that smell? Is that body mount on fire?)
You can get a sunburn welding.
Clean your surfaces and give them good prep. There's more, but I can't remember it all

I really gained a new respect for you guys who can lay down an immaculate weld.