• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Nine inch housing drain location? plug size?

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
I'm going to drill and tap my housing when I swap the third member this weekend.

Which size plug a 1/8" NPT or 1/4" NPT? anyone have a picture of where they put their plug? I'm looking at on the backside close to the bottom of the housing where there is more material.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Do a search. There are some sweet plug setups that have been pictured. They require welding but there great. If you dead set on just the drill and tap then keep it low where the wall is doubled up. Im not sure the gunk would drain out a 1/4" hole? Im gona weld a plate on mine and use a large plug just like the fill plug (find the ones that are flat and use a 3/8" extension inside them).

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The oil comes out a 1/8" pipe hole very quickly. No need for 1/4". If you have gunk in there you're wasting time just changing the oil.

Attachments

• Bronco 034.jpg
    Bronco 034.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 157

70_Steve

Old Guy
The oil comes out a 1/8" pipe hole very quickly. No need for 1/4". If you have gunk in there you're wasting time just changing the oil.
FWIW, mine is exactly where Viperwolf1's is, and is also 1/8" npt. Lube drains quickly, and the plug is out of the way.

mattt

Bronco Guru
3rd on the same as VW.....1/8" NPT. I thought it would be too small to drain effectively but it drains.

OP
OP
fetorino

fetorino

Loc.
Orange, CA
That's what I was looking for

Confirms my plan. I did pick up a snazzy blue Russell plug since that silver one just looks so pedestrian......

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Here is what I did. When I find my material list I will post it.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Also note that in Viperwolf1's first pic, he's used an allenhead pipe plug. This keeps the head of the plug from getting damaged if you were to hit something.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess you could do it with the chunk in as long as you were carefull. Then the old oil would push the metal out.

AndyT

Anyone ever drilled and tapped while the third member is still in? Is there any danger in that? I'm not third member savy and would like to not have to pull the axles and remove third member to drill and tap the rear end. Thoughts?