• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which D20 would you rebuild? Started Tear Down

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I have a 76 D20 and a 67 D20 and I know the same history on both of them, nothing! If I am going to rebuild one for a project, which one would you recommend and why?

Last edited:

NateMob

The older one has a little bit lower Low Range in it. Other than that, i would say its a toss up.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd probably go with the 67 just because it has slightly lower gearing but you may need to swap the yokes if it hasnt been converted to the spicer style. As for the 76 well its a little easier to twin stick if you wanted that.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I would make a hybrid out of both. Use the J rails, J front output shaft and T everything else. Keep one rear output assembly as a trail spare.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I would make a hybrid out of both. Use the J rails, J front output shaft and T everything else. Keep one rear output assembly as a trail spare.

Exactly what i did and have had no issues, well no issues that were not self inflicted.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I like the t shifts better than the J's. The t shift is a little bit easier to take apart.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Would you care to elaborate before I get into it? :)

I used a J-shift case and internals from the T. The self inflicted part was one of the thrust washers on the center gear found its way to the bottom of the case without me catching it.

70_Steve

Old Guy
This is exactly what I wound up with. J-shift front output shaft is a much better design. I had modified my t-shift rails so no need to change to j-shift. And I carry the extra output assy as a spare!!!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Twin stick is a good alteration. I think the grinding of the shift rail is a better way to do this in place of removing the pills.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
gotcha, will be a learning experience for both of us!

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Just went looking for this thread so I am moving it to the top so it is easier to find. I am just lazy. ;D

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
OK I am slowly working on this and I am tearing the 66 case down, then the 76 case is next. When I go to order my parts, do I want the twin sticks for the t shift or do I need to order them for the J shift since I am changing out the rails?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OK I am slowly working on this and I am tearing the 66 case down, then the 76 case is next. When I go to order my parts, do I want the twin sticks for the t shift or do I need to order them for the J shift since I am changing out the rails?

Shifter needs to match the rails.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Pete, do you wasn't the front wheel drive only option? It can be fine with either i believe bit the T shift cab be made so you can't get into two different ranges.

707Bronk

As usual Viperwolf offers sound advice.

The J case shift rails makes it far easier to make independant front/rear shifting.

The J case front output shaft uses a spacer instead of a snap ring, which makes life much easier.

And, unless you plan on puting in low range gears then use the lower T-case gears.