• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

transmission fluid leak

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I am leaking transmission fluid out of the gear selector shaft on my C4. Is there anything I can do so it will quit leaking all over my exhaust? i.e. reseal without having to pull the guts to fix. Needing to get it fixed before OCBR.. Another thing added to my list. Thanks

After reading some older tech articles, I am going to try the kickdown Oring to see if that will stop the leak. If not, Probably going to just take it to the tranny shop cause it sounds way to difficult for me to tackle alone.

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You can uaually tell where it's leaking from. If it is dripping from the kickdown lever itself, it is probably the outer oring seal and can be replaced by just pulling off the nut and lever. If it is leaking from the transmission housing, the valve body will need to come off.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If you have leaks near the shift lever read the following.

There is a seal (Napa ATP 1404) around the shift shaft but you need to open it up and remove the valve body to change it. There is also a special quad-ring (Napa ATP 12069) between the shift shaft and the kickdown shaft that can be changed from the outside.

Change the quad ring first. That is a common leak. Remove the nut and kickdown lever and pull out the old ring. Clean the area, lube the new ring and re-install. If it still leaks after changing the ring you'll need to pull the valve body to change the shift seal.