• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ignition key tumbler replacement

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I changed them in the past but this time went all wrong. Inserted key, turned to Acc, inserted pin, turned further past Acc, no good, tumbler would not come out. Decided to leave and turned key back and nothing. Now it just turns back and forth with the acc power staying on all the time. Had to disconnect battery.

Any way to fix without having to pull that switch? It didn't seem to want to come out very easy either. Push switch toward the dash then rotate collar, correct?

Any help would be greatful. Finally fixed door locks only to screw up the ignition switch%):mad:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm thinking that it did pop out just slightly before hitting some kind of snag or burr, and now won't come all the way out.
Perhaps "worrying it" a bit more (while in the left position) would do it. I hope.

Maybe turn it once, all the way to the right (to set everything), then turn it back all the way (making sure that the little spring pin thingy is again pushed (even though it's probably not needed anymore)) and wiggle the living daylights out of the thing.

Oh, and you DO have the battery disconnected at this point, right?

Good luck.

Paul

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,

I had the same problem with the aftermarket key cylinder. Here's a link to a video from WH on how to remove the lock cylinder.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/How_To_Install_Remove_Ignition_Switch_66-77_Bronco/tech_faq

I used pliers to tug mine out. There is a think metal clip which holds the little pins inside of the lock, mine came off and was jammed in. After a good firm yank it came right out, just make sure you get all of the little parts out before you install a new one.

Good luck!
Chris

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
THanks for the info. Going to try again. That's a great video. Never noticed it on their web site before.

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pliers and a tug, it cam out. Part of the tumbler had come off and jammed inside. Just cleaned it out and installed the new one. Nice having just one key again.

Thanks everyone.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Congrats! Now just make sure you order a spare spare when you don't need it. I hear even with the key id number tag it takes a while to get one.
ZZzzz....zzz...