• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

install intake rtv?

nkhd1

I had an intake leak and have a new gasket set.
Do you put a sealent on the gasket going from the intake to the heads?
Should I use the corks for the ends? or sealant/

Thanks

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
cork ends tend to squash and slide out. i like the blue silicone ends if you can find a pair. as for the sides, i only use sealant around the coolant ports.

dalba4

Loc.
Socal
High tack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0000-Permatex-High-Tack-Gasket-Sealant---.jpg

I recently fell in love with stuff it goes everywhere. It is unbelievably useful on parts that pull a vacuum. No I have no scienzes to support this.

Use this around the coolant ports -

permatex-product-catalog-149041_9b.jpg

Use Edelbrock gaskets -

edl-7220_w.jpg

This is what my felpros looked like coming out:

CIMG3758.jpg

CIMG3757.jpg

CIMG3748.jpg

CIMG3759.jpg

high tack never sets its just goop that's sticky. It doesn't dissolve in automotive chemicals. Went all over my fuel line connections when installing the two new metal tanks on my EB - less fumes smell now.

75ranger

This is really great info. I have been stressing over this for the past week trying to figure out what to use and not to use. I have all the parts, including the edelbrock gaskets, but was trying to figure out whether to use the Gasgacinch that they recommend and what type of gasket/rtv to use on the ends. I will know be swinging by and grabbing some high tack and Right stuff. This post could not have come at a better time. Thanks so much guys

75ranger

Sorry to hijack but I do have one question. Anything needed on the water ports? I am assuming on the intake side of the gasket.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Dalba4 gives good advice, it will give the best results. But there is a matter of economy involved. If you go downtown and buy all of those products in a new can, you'll spend some bucks some might consider is excessive. .
The gasket problem isn't very complex. Clean all the surfaces with a good paint reducer to get clean metal, use high temp RTV to lightly circle all the ports. Toss the new rubber end gaskets and use RTV and build a dam of RTV on each end, squish it down by bolting down intake.