• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle Lockers

TAC

Loc.
Pocatello, ID
Sorry, I am sure this is a repeat question but:

I have a 72 Bronco, 9" rear axle and Dana 44 front, both regular differentials 3.50 ratio. I think 28 spline. I want to put regular "factor similar" limited slip or lockers in them. I do not want air or elec lockers. I have a reputable mechanic who will install them but it is up to me to order what is needed. Are there things I need to specifically specify, a recommended type, best place for a matched set, things to avoid, ???

Your input is greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Todd
Pocatello, ID.

tnebdoug

axles

Some questions to answer: How are you going to use your Bronco; off road and what type and on the highway driving and what percentage of each. What size tires do you plan on.

OP
OP
TAC

TAC

Loc.
Pocatello, ID
It will be 60/40 ish on road/off road. Off road is just in dirt, snow, & mud in the mountains. No serious rock crawling. It has 30 tires now but I am adding a 3" lift so thinking to go to 32s or whatever will fit. I am considering the Detroit True Trac for the lockers but not sure.

Thanks.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
its usually not hard to find a factory 28 spline trac loc for the rear axle I dont think I would buy a new one as for the price of a new one there are much better units availible for about the same price.
As for the front again factory was traction loc they are still relatively cheap new and do work fine for light useage.
Really a good rear locker is a big improvement over a open diff and with that alone you dont really even need a front setup. If you drive in the snow/ice a front LS may not be a good choice even a rear LS takes a lot of getting used to as when you let off or get on the gas the rear will want to slide around especailly noticeable in a short wheel based vehicle like a bronco so you have to be aware of how it reacts under those conditions or you'll endup in the ditch or worse fast.
tru tracs are pretty good.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Snow and mountains, not a good mix for a short wheelbase and a locked rear end. Your needs scream ARB as the best choice, even for the rear. The stability of an open diff for the road and snow but can lock for rocks and mud.

Next best in the option bag (since you don't want ARBs) would be a helical gear type limited slip. True trac is good, Torsen as well, Quaffi makes them as well. Actually many choices in this style. They lock up (not truelly lock but strong limited slip action) under load and are known for being smooth in the application of power. when not under load they act like an open diff. Keeps the looping down when turning onto a street.

The 28 slpline 9" is a sticking point. Many of the choices are not available in 28 spline. Since relitivle mild Broncos on relitivly small tires are known for twisting the axles, 31 spline is a great upgrade.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
X2 on 31 spline axles.When I twisted an axle off outside the retainer and parted company with a tire the damage cost more than 31 spline axles and I still had to get the axles etc. My good deal on that 28 spline locker was an expensive mistake.

OP
OP
TAC

TAC

Loc.
Pocatello, ID
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the input. I have a 351W in the Bronco so I will certainly look into 31 spline. Truth is I had a 74 Bronco in the early 80s that had factory lockers on both axles. This Bronco is my quest for nostalgia to build something similar to what I had. That thing was a climber but squirrelly on the road in snow & ice and it ate U-joints yearly.

tnebdoug

gear ratio

Probably also want 4.10's with the bigger tires as well. The bigger engine may not need the lower gears, but am sure some others can comment. You have an auto trans ??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I still have the 3 speed manual. Gear ratio is another decision I need to make.

Plan ahead. Figure your engine, transmission and tire size first. Then that will narrow down the right gear ratio. Are you planning on keeping the 3-speed? Planning something with an overdrive? It can be strange to say 4.88s make good highway gears, but with the right transmission they can. Wrong transmission they won't.