• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running rich/lots of fumes

bu66a

Loc.
Seattle
Hey Guys,

Recently bought my 1970 with an Edelbrock intake and Carb that the PO installed. Its running really rich and lots of exhaust fumes. Quite a bit of smoke out the pipes too. My mechanic seems to think the carb needs to be rebuilt as the filter leading up to the carb has quite a bit of rust chunks in it. He also said its dumping gas pretty good. The PO said he took the tanks out and cleaned em up. I'm guessing there was some rust either left in or finally made their way up through the lines. The carb was just recently installed, probably not even 7 months ago. Does anyone know of a good carb rebuilder here in the Seattle area? Thanks!

-bu66a

70_Steve

Old Guy
Does anyone know of a good carb rebuilder here in the Seattle area?
You! That Edelbrock Performer (aka Carter AFB) is one of the easiest carbs to rebuild and tune. Download the Owners Manual, find a rebuild kit and have fun.

Edit: Oh, and find a new mechanic if he wants to rebuild rather than investigate tuning. Sounds like he's not very familiar with carbs.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 do it yourself its not that hard most likely the needle seats are going bad or have debris in them. A carb kit,a can or two of carb cleaner and a couple of hours will be about all you need.
Once you've done it you will figure out that carbs are not so much of a mystery.
Also change the filter and it might be a good idea to check out the fuel tanks again they may have been cleaned but rust may have redeveloped might be time for a new tank. might also consider replacing the fuel pump.