• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radius Arms on the Rear

SloppyDawg71

Loc.
Cedartown, GA
I searched an couldn't find any good info on it so here goes...in order to get good articulation I was thinking about copying the front suspension design to the rear, it would be considerably cheaper than a 4-link and better than a leaf spring? How would it do on the road, 50% on/off road too much body roll and long arms of course.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've always wanted to do that. I think it would be just as good as a link system and if you have the parts laying around why not!
frenchy

nik

Loc.
Corcoran, CA
Well I don't know about anyone else, but my radius arms do not flex better than my leaf springs and they are even extended. Also the radius arm design/geometry isn't the best for on or off road other than being very strong IMO.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Radius arm suspensions are simple and effective, however they combined with the axle housing act like a sway bar, so they're not inherently the best design for maximum articulation, although as evidenced by many EB's, can be made to flex quite well when built right. Given the choice between a custom radius arm design and a custom 4-link for the rear, 4-link wins hands down every time.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I wheeled my buddies rig on the Rubicon this past June with this exact setup. Extended radius arms on the back and a panhard bar. We opened up his full width 9" housing like a tuna can! Too much twisting force applied to the housing itself...

cesco

I am running this set up, Cage arms front and rear. It works ok and the only problem that I have had is bending the rear arms. I have that problem fixed now but I would have bent the lowers on a 4 link also. As far as flex goes I have limiting straps on each corner to keep from over extending my shocks. I'm not sure about it being any cheaper but it was an easy set up to do and I already had the radius arms so I used them.

CJ who???

Loc.
Banning, Ca...
I'm more than happy with my leafs... I have a 3 1/2" W.H. lift with the 10 pack rears. I think when I purchased it from Wild Horses, the leafs were made by National Spring then. Not sure if that's still the case. I also have a 2" body lift along with 33"x12.50/15's on 10' rims and I have so much flex with those leafs, I can still rub my tires on the body. I don't have rear shock hoops either.

The front axle with radius arms don't flex near as much.

Just my .02 cents...

OP
OP
S

SloppyDawg71

Loc.
Cedartown, GA
I appreciate all the responses, I was just trying to think outside the box, guess I'll stick with the good ol' leaf springs for now until my financial advisor(my wife) lets me go with the 4 link.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Jake Goode did that to his Bronco years ago. I have a few pictures of it and it worked pretty sweet, but I remember him saying he wouldnt do it again, but I like the idea myself

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As stated, less then ideal articulation. But a single radius arm makes for a great simple and cheap torque arm to control the leaf springs. Just don't use in pairs or they will fight each other.

Attachments

• P7260008.jpg
    P7260008.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 63

cesco

I am a little confused on why everyone is getting better flex from leafs than the radius arms? I always had more in the front than the rear when running leafs. my set up now is just the opposite but that is because of the longer shock travel in the rear than the front. I could flex more if I had longer travel shocks. I am running 14" in the front and 16" in the rear.... I will have to search but there was a guy from Colorado that used radius arms front and rear on all his buggys that he built...