• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF Transmission Help?

jsniper06

Loc.
Crowley, La.
I am about to start my ZF swap. I would like to have the transmission gone through just to make sure its OK. How much do you guys think this should run? Before I start calling every place around here, is there anyone who knows a good place in the Lafayette, LA area? I do have a C4 with Dana 20 that I am taking out. Both freshly rebuild. Only 3000 miles on both. Works perfect, Just dont like the auto with no overdrive. Thanks for the info in advance.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can drain the fluid in a clean white plastic bucket and look for metal. Remove the PTO covers and check the condition of the gears. turn the input and run it through the gears and see if it shifts smoothly. Check for leaks...

That is about all a shop is going to do other than tearing it down for a rebuild. Probably about $500-$800.

bsquared

Contributor
I just did exactly what Dave posted during my recent swap. Here's a few pics that might help. I followed a swap thread posted by Hammer that was a big help. Are you going with an NP205 t-case? Good luck on the swap. Adding a 2" body lift helped reduce the hole size.

Attachments

• Tunnel3.JPG
    Tunnel3.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Tunnel4.JPG
    Tunnel4.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 68
  • ZFNotch2.JPG
    ZFNotch2.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 69
  • ZFNotch3.JPG
    ZFNotch3.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 73
  • EngineTrans.jpg
    EngineTrans.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 80

Knifemaker

Loc.
Youngsville, La.
Acadiana Transmissions on Pinhook does pretty good work if you really want someone to have a look at it but dont no the cost. Like Dave said if oil looks good and shifting ok put it in and try it.

OP
OP
jsniper06

jsniper06

Loc.
Crowley, La.
I found a place that will tear it open, check it out, and reseal it. All for $150. Does this sound like a good deal. I thought it was.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thats more than fair. Frankly unless a syncro has crapped on you, you should be just fine. The ZF tranny is Heavy duty and I doubt you will ever put enough torque and hp through it, to make it quit. My tranny was in another early bronco and was beat pretty hard I beleive, but did the same as what Dave suggested and it runs fine.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have probably already read about the idle rollover noise. It's caused by the relatively light flywheel on the 302 compared with most engines the ZF sits behind. Pulses from the engine transmit into the gears at idle in neutral. Its normal and a good sound blanket like the one ford puts over them in the F250 helps a lot. Don't be tempted to put gear lube in it. Stick with the recomended Mercon. I've been told gear lube will not lubricate the synchros and cause them to fail. Good luck and you will really like the ZF.

bsquared

Contributor
Idle noise.....
Yes, what Dave said! At idle (800 rpms) it will sound like a bunch of marbles are rolling around loose in there. I posted to the forum and it seems this is normal for the swap. I've had mine in for a while now and it has worked out fine, just makes noise when sitting at a slow idle. If the idle is upped to 1000 rmps, all noise goes away.

It is a great tranny, especially for the EB. Will give you a shout next trip through Crowley. Cheers, B2

fordtrucksrule

I have one in my bronco and I love it i dont have that roll over noise at all. then again it idles at 750 and i have a 351w that has been balanced and also a heavy flywheel.