• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire Recommendations

70 Steed

I'll be buying a new set of 33x12.50x15 tires. I'll be mostly on road with some off roading for now. What do recommend? I don't want to break the bank because I may switch to 35's in the future.

OP
OP
70 Steed

70 Steed

Tire Rack has them listed as off road maximum traction. How are they on road?

OP
OP
70 Steed

70 Steed

You know the more I think about, I think I might want to go with 35's now as I plan on switching from my stock 3.50 gears to 4.10 soon. How will my rig do with 35's with 3.50 for the short term?

yzracer63

i am runnin them in 35's and i have 4:88 gears, mine does fine, wish i had 4:10's so i could do a little faster than 45-50 mph!

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I run BFG KM2's 35" with 4:10 gears. These are great tires on and off road. very quiet. my buddy is running 37'' tires with stock 3.50 gears. he is also running the same 302 and C4 I am and doesnt notice much lag in his take offs compared to the 33's he was running.

im at 2700-2800 rpm at 65mph with this setup. I get 12 mpg with my 2100 autolite consistently with this setup.

I dont know yet how quick these tires wear out but i wont be the best judge for that since i usually get the most out of my tire warranty ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
With a auto tranny biggest issue is you build heat and accelerate wear in the tranny with less than stellar gearing and big tires.
if you have a manual tranny especailly the stock 3sp you will hate 3.50 gears and 35in tires.
the other thing you'll notice with either tranny and the proposed gearing is that you will lack power especailly on hills. There's give and take with everything. But you could run the 35's for awhile until you can swap the gears. it will probably make you want to swap the gears sooner once you experiance it but then the longer you drive it you will get used to it and probably not care as much.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
you'll be fine...at least experience it and decide if you want something different. mine has 35s with 4.56 gears and it is way far from an ideal on road, daily driver. 95% off road machine.

OP
OP
70 Steed

70 Steed

Thanks for all the info guys. I should have mentioned that I have a C4. I'm planning on doing the gear swap soon so I'm thinking I just should get the 35's now. Like you say it will motivate me to do the gear swap sooner.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I ran 35s with a C4 and 3:50 gears for many years and never had an issue. I now have 4:56 gears and it is great for daily use and offroad. Not so great for interstates but I dont drive the Bronco on interstates anyway.

FWIW... when I buy new tires they will be KM2s... from what I have saw they are one of the best options for street use and still be good offroad.

If you are not interested in offroad performance then go with BFG ATs or even save a few bucks and get the General AT2s. Not saying those tires are not respectable offroad... I had BFG ATs for years and went many places the other guys with Swampers went. Just not as easily... ;D

Greg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I wore out a set of old style goodyear MTRs and they were great off-road. Not so great on-road when wet or snowy. I just put a set of goodyear duratracs on. They are absolutely quiet compared to the MTRs and are supposed to be a lot better in the snow.

OP
OP
70 Steed

70 Steed

Thanks guys. Just bought a set of BFG KM2' 35's from Tire Rack. They'll be here Monday.

eveready77

Loc.
Chattanooga
Look into a set of Cooper discover STT's. I have ran the ST's on a few trucks, and currently have them on my 2500 Dodge, they are more of an allterrain where as the STT's are more of a pretty aggressive mud tire. I have Super Swampers on my Bronco now but when they are worn out I'll replace them with the Cooper STT's. Thing I like about Coopers is they last forever, and they are one of only a couple tire companys that are still American OWNED and American made.