• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Changing Fuel Pump

smcl2002

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Had a ton of fuel in my oil, so it's time to change the fuel pump. My dad recommended that I pour a quart or two of new oil through the oil cap and just let it run through the engine/oil pan and out....to clean the bad oil out before completing the oil change. Any other recommendations to make sure my system is clean?

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Well, you don't want to run the engine with too much oil, and you don't want to run it with too little. If you drain the existing oil and just put a quart or two in and try to run it, you could kill the engine. I don't even know if that's enough for the oil pickup to get suction. Just pouring oil into the oil cap and letting gravity take it out will do nothing.

Replace fuel pump, then change oil and filter. If you're really paranoid about it, run for a few minutes and change oil and filter again.

BroncoKelley

Loc.
Billings, Montana
I would definitely get that old oil out before you run the engine anymore-gas plays hell on crank and rod bearings. Replace the fuel pump and change the oil and filter. If it was mine, I would run it for about 15-20 minutes and then change it again.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I would definitely get that old oil out before you run the engine anymore-gas plays hell on crank and rod bearings. Replace the fuel pump and change the oil and filter. If it was mine, I would run it for about 15-20 minutes and then change it again.

x2 for me also,I don't think pouring oil thru the engine will do anything.

OP
OP
S

smcl2002

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Sounds good. I've got all of the contaminated oil out of it, and will be replacing the fuel pump this weekend. i just wanted to make sure I had all of the bad oil out so that I didn't damage the engine. Thanks guys!