• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to make an inline coolant filter for under $10 bucks!

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

With everyone starting to talk about winter and heaters I thought I should share what I use on both my old Fords too keep temperatures where they should be. Plus this filter keeps the motor running cool in the summer time so it really helps.

As we all know, metal blocks rust, we've added garden hose water with lots of minerals, and eventually the heater gets cold and the motor runs hot.

So when it's time to flush the motor, radiator, and heater add one of these.

Basically it's a filter to catch all the rust flakes and debris. When you first install it you will be cleaning it once a week for the first month or so and you will be amazed what you'll find.

If you're not sure when to clean it, just turn on the heater. If it blows warm or cold when the engine is hot then it's time to clean the filter.

Mine is installed on the "in" line to the heater. OH, and try to add distilled water, it's got no minerals to clog stuff up.

I hope this helps!

Chris

PS Check out the before and after pic. of the screen.

Attachments

• DSC03380 [1600x1200].jpg
    DSC03380 [1600x1200].jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 980
  • DSC03385 [1600x1200].jpg
    DSC03385 [1600x1200].jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
I used to have one of those "T" fittings on my Scout II that you could remove a cap on the 3rd inlet and screw a garden hose on it to flush the whole system. Super cheap and pretty damn cool. First time I flushed it there was some impressive stuff flowing out of the sytem! I've also got a dieselite coolant filter on my 6.0 powerstroke that was pretty reasonable and is an impressive piece. Machined block out of billet alum and uses over the counter full sized fluid filters. It's got ball valves on both the inlet and outlet so you can cut off flow and minimize coolant loss during a filter change. Would be easy to build one from over the shelf parts if you didn't need the billet block.

http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-200760lcoolantfiltrationsystem-preservethelifeofyourwaterpump.aspx

Jon Robert

Thanks for the idea. I would add valves so this could be serviced, but then it would go over $10

Another option is a filter from Farm and Fleet. $17 for the head, about $8 for fittings and $8 for the large oil filter like particulate filter.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

Since summer and overheating season is almost here I thought I'd bump this thread back to the top. I just cleaned out my inline coolant filter this morning and it wasn't terrible but it was blocked up. Anyway, I hope this idea get some good use.

Happy Trails!
Chris:cool:

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
That looks like a good idea. How much coolant do you loose each time you clean out the filter?

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi BDAZSVT,

Honestly I only lose about 1-4oz each time I change the clean the filter.

I gently place a vise grip on each side of the brass fittings on soft rubber heater hose, essentially pinching the hose shut while I clean the filter.

Plus the hose is at a higher point on the engine so a very minimal amount of coolant is lost.
:cool:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When i work on my engine i make a filter from a piece of aluminium window screen and place it in the fitting for the upper radiator hose. I form the screen into a cone about 4 inches long and place it inside the upper hose fitting and then wrap it over the end of the fitting and trim it. Keep the trimmed ends short and place the hose over the fitting and screen and clamp it in place. I will usually run. It for a month.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,
So I checked the local OSH today and the brass fittings are now $9.99 for the pair, inflation...what can I say? "For about $10 bucks?"

With the filter/washer, two hose clamps and tax you're still under $15, not bad for what it accomplishes.

Happy Saturday!

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I'm usually not one to add extra potential leak spots . . but I think I may be sold on this mod! Thanks Chris!

And I can vouch for the metal hose barbs at Lowe's. Go to the lawn sprinkler plumbing area. Tons of brass fittings.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Bumpity bump bump for all the summer folks with over heating engines!

Happy Trails!

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,
I thought I'd bump this up since my inline coolant filter is still working. I hope this helps others keep it cool this summer.
Enjoy!

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Did this back when you first mentioned it. It worked well until I put stop leak in my radiator and then my heat stopped working. Turns out the mesh filter caught all the stop leak. Otherwise, works great.