• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with tach wiring

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
I picked up a tach and it says to splice red wire into any vehicle harness wire which is energized with the battery voltage ONLY when ignition key is in the ON (run) position. So, it seems everything is on in ACCESSORIES also.
Where should I splice into?? Also, should I ground it to the battery neg. terminal or is grounding to the frame/body under the hood ok?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Powering the tach off accessory will be fine.
And doesn't need to go to the battery, and the frame is generally the worst ground on a Bronco. Just ground it to the dash.

OP
OP
Gerbow

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
Its a '72 with 302. Im fine with wiring to accessories but directions say "DO NOT" do this.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Standard tach wiring diagram below. Don't quite understand wiring to accesory position of switch. Should be to run side of ignition switch.

Attachments

• Tachwiring.jpg
    Tachwiring.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 133
OP
OP
Gerbow

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
Standard tach wiring diagram below. Don't quite understand wiring to accesory position of switch. Should be to run side of ignition switch.

Thats better than whet Ive been looking at. So I can just splice into wire under dash from run side of ignition switch? (going to engine?) would you grund to battery terminal or under dash. Directions say best to terminal for best tach performance.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I've alway's grounded to dash making sure it's a good clean ground. Dash is mounted to firewall and firewall should be grounded to engine.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Basically anything hot in run position of ignition switch. Like the radio etc. Everything hot in ACC is hot in run position. Exception being actual ignition wire is hot only in run and start.

Last edited:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way

Pull a new wire (DkGn) from the coil (-) to the tach input. Splice tach power to Bk/Gn at the ig.sw. or ICVR. Splice tach illumination into any LB/R at the instrument cluster or dash. Connect tach ground to the dash or instrument cluster shell.

OP
OP
Gerbow

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
Watchin football with my boy today. Gonna get on this 2moro. Hopefully I have it now. If not, I'll be asking again. I was just mostly concerned with the one above mentioned wire.