• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Gauge gone bad

jmurphy

Loc.
Missoula
Hello
I've had my 75 for about a year now and have not had to do many things to it. But my fuel gauge stopped working a while ago and I've been trying to figure out why. I have very little automotive electrical work knowledge or experience but was able to narrow it down to a bad fuel gauge, I didn't get any reading when I checked the resistance between the two posts on the back of the fuel gauge. I pulled the fuel gauge out of the cluster and removed the front cover and sure enough the small wire connecting to ground post had broken off. Now my question is how to reattach it. There is a yellowish covering over the wire and post, does anyone one what was used here or can I use solder ?:?

OP
OP
J

jmurphy

Loc.
Missoula
It had two tanks but the second was not hooked up. It did not read from either sending unit

OP
OP
J

jmurphy

Loc.
Missoula
OK so I took a chance and just soldered the wire back to the post inside the fuel gauge, then checked and got a resistance reading, and for the final check hooked up the wires from the sending unit and turned the key............and the gauge needle moved :) Now all I need to do is put the gauge back into the cluster.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Good job. Gauge resistance should be 10-14 ohms.

OP
OP
J

jmurphy

Loc.
Missoula
Thanks Viperwolf1 but I am going to have to take it back out after I installed it back into the gauge cluster it stopped working again. I'll have to check the gauge resistance again, and if everything is ok there I'll have to move on to checking other things.