• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Look what happen to my Bronco already!!

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
BergBronco and his family came up to day to check out my new Bronco that I got. He want to hear it run and see what the Bronco look like in the sun. While I had the Bronco running me and Josh heard something that didn't sound good. Ever time I hit the throttle it would make a knocking noise. Come to find out it was the Harmonic Balancer coming apart. As can see in the 1st picture. So I will be ordering one some time this week. O well that is life.

Now for some help on the Crank pulley and the Red or orange that is on the motor. As you can see in the pictures the bottom pulley looks different then any other crank pulleys that I have ever seen. Did the Broncos come from factory with this type of pulley? (My Bronco is a 73)

In the last picture the red or orange that is painted on the motor. Does any know why the motor would be painted red or orange? I have found it just in the front.

Plus the timing pointer looks to be different, is it a OEM Bronco pointer?

Any info on the pulley and the Color of the motor plus the timing pointer would be a big help.

Attachments

• DSCF0752.jpg
    DSCF0752.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF0753.jpg
    DSCF0753.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF0755.jpg
    DSCF0755.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0751.jpg
    DSCF0751.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 161

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Is the distributor in the front or back? Maybe it's a chevy (chevy orange)
Just kidding....I have a pully like that on my motorhome.It was part of the aftermarket air cond.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I've seen them on Broncos too. Could be an Air-Pump (Thermactor) or power steering and the like. Usually the Thermactor pump was run from the alternator's dual groove pulley though.
Yours was the first official year for power steering, so maybe it either came with an oddball, or that's the way they all were, or someone changed it.
Bottom line though, if it's all lining up correctly and the diameters are compatible, it should be good to go.

Paul

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Mine is a 73 with power steering, it has the regular stamped steel style pully, that one looks cast. I'm with Miikee73, might have been part of an aftermarket air or something.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While I've seen the cast pulleys I cant tell you that its stock for 73. my 73 also has a stamped steel pulley. If i had to guess i would almost say it was swapped on at a later date. but you can never tell what came out of the factory sometimes. But I would say your the timing pointer is not from a 73. I'd suspect the engine was swapped. You may want to check it As i would almost say that might be a late model engine and its possible thats its a 50 oz balance.
As for color some PO must have liked red. I think the last time ford used red on the engines was the early 60's

OP
OP
Mill KNOB

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
While I've seen the cast pulleys I cant tell you that its stock for 73. my 73 also has a stamped steel pulley. If i had to guess i would almost say it was swapped on at a later date. but you can never tell what came out of the factory sometimes. But I would say your the timing pointer is not from a 73. I'd suspect the engine was swapped. You may want to check it As i would almost say that might be a late model engine and its possible thats its a 50 oz balance.
As for color some PO must have liked red. I think the last time ford used red on the engines was the early 60's

I check the Balancer that came of my 73 with the one that came off my 69 and it is a 28oz, so I think it is safe to say that it is a 28oz. Where are the # stamp on the motor at to find out what it might have came out of? Once again the Original owner work @ Dale Earnhardht Chevy and had them tare it down and fix everything. The motor might have been on of them?

OP
OP
Mill KNOB

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
Could some one get me a measurement on the steel 2 grove pully? How tall it is. I want to compair it the the cast iron one that I have. Would like to see if it would line up and if it would then look for one of them.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Casting number is on the block behind the starter. I recently replaced my balancer and crank pulley with ones from WH. It was a stab in the dark that it would work properly, and for once something worked the first time around. I have a factory alt bracket and WH power steering pump bracket if that helps...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
When I was adding power steering to my Bronco.. I found one like that off Ebay the guy there said it came off his stock 64 Fairlane .. I don't know but it worked on mine..
... I had not thought of it being from an ARA dealer installed A/C kit.. But that may be where it came from.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That blows.. Better to find it at home though, than it go out on the road or trail Good luck.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
That blows.. Better to find it at home though, than it go out on the road or trail Good luck.

I agree,consider yourself lucky,at home,at low RPM,and a seat full of shop manuals.
I had a timing chain giveout on me as I was coasting around a corner.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I check the Balancer that came of my 73 with the one that came off my 69 and it is a 28oz, so I think it is safe to say that it is a 28oz. Where are the # stamp on the motor at to find out what it might have came out of? Once again the Original owner work @ Dale Earnhardht Chevy and had them tare it down and fix everything. The motor might have been on of them?

Well balancer may be 28 oz but you need to check the casting number on the engine to make sure its a 28oz block. If the block has a casting number that starts with E2 or higher I'd suspect that its a 50 oz block/crank.

nothing wrong with running that pulley you have if it lines up with everything else I'd stick with it.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
My '73 had a cast pulley like that when I bought it. Don't know if it was stock. I didn't have AC, but it did have power steering.