• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 Oil Pan Capacity

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Wondering of those out there with Explorer 5.0s are getting as far as oil capacity? Are you running the early aluminum pan or the late steel pan.
Dipstick in the side of the block or elsewhere?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Explorer aluminum pan, dipstick in block, explorer oil cooler. 5 qts with new filter.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Viper,

You have 5 total including the filter and cooler? I just installed the aluminum pan and am using an early timing chain cover for dipstick (no cooler). I should have measured off the block and pickup tube prior to reassembly but didn't. Trying to figure of the best level to put in. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes, pan + filter = 5. I cheated on determining capacity. I looked in an explorer owners manual.

Problem with front dipstick is rear sump pan.

I should also mention Explorer filter is small.

Last edited:
OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Yeah, I knew this might be an issue, but I didn't want to tap the pan yet if possible. %) Trying to get the most in there without foaming or blowing new gaskets. Hopefully, I'll be able to get good enough reading off the front and keep the level there.

Yes, pan + filter = 5. I cheated on determining capacity. I looked in an explorer owners manual.

Problem with front dipstick is rear sump pan.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Maybe I'll fill the pan with 5 qt. and do 3/4 with the FL1A filter.
Might pick up an Explorer filter today and just see how much it holds. What do you think?

I should also mention Explorer filter is small.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Maybe I'll fill the pan with 5 qt. and do 3/4 with the FL1A filter.
Might pick up an Explorer filter today and just see how much it holds. What do you think?

Diameter looks about the same as FL1A. Difference is length (and fitting). FL1A is about 5" long, 820S is about 3 1/2" long. That would give the 820S about 70% the capacity of the FL1A. The oil cooler itself also has some capacity. I would say that would easily make up for the other 30%. Therefore, an explorer filter/cooler should have roughly the same capacity as a FL1A.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Thinking of installing dry filter, filling with 5 qts. inspecting stick level, starting, recheck stick level after a brief sit, adding additional 1/2 quart, recheck level, and mark as new level. Thoughts?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think you would be fine with that amount of oil but I'm not sure you'll be able to see it on the front dipstick.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Thanks Viper. We'll find out. If you're at the top of the FULL mark on yours at 5 qts with your cooler setup, I think I ought to be good. I know an extra quart won't kill it, but don't want to over do it.
I do like this pan. Hope it seals a better than my old steel pan. Thanks again.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Sweet! It reads! I'm dead nuts in between LOW and FULL on my Lokar stick with 5 qts added (filter dry).

Now if I could just find where I put my heater control valve so I could start this baby again (did a waterpump too). Might just have to run without one for now and cut it in later. Too nice out today! :cool:

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Ford trucks since the dark ages have been 6 qts with filter. (Diesels more) Especialy from this era. The idea was that they were under more load than "cars". Remember, Oil is not just for lubrication but also "cooling". IMHO it doesn't really matterr what pan or filter you are using that engine was designed for 6 qts unless you have the newer explorer engine and it takes only 5 qts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford trucks since the dark ages have been 6 qts with filter. (Diesels more) Especialy from this era. The idea was that they were under more load than "cars". Remember, Oil is not just for lubrication but also "cooling". IMHO it doesn't really matterr what pan or filter you are using that engine was designed for 6 qts unless you have the newer explorer engine and it takes only 5 qts.

I disagree with that conclusion patterdale. (edit: oops, I see you did list the 5 qt Exploder capacity, but didn't notice it the first time. The rest still applies though)
As you say, the trucks (with the V8 anyway) had the 6qt capacity. But cars called out for 5 with the same engine.
Six cylinders sometimes had 5, sometimes 7. The 460's got 7.
But the cars with 5 quart capacities still had the same engines as we have in the EB's.

It's not the crankcase that determines the capacity in these cases. That stays the same all across the lines. It's the pan that changes. Or more accurately, the combination of parts.
A 302 in a car is the same 302 that's in a truck, but they hold different amounts of oil. The only thing that changes is the pan, and sometimes the filter.

And it seems very likely that Ford didn't go by old standards when spec'ing out an Explorer. It's not of the same vintage and not of the same use patterns as a real "truck" I would think.
And the book Viperwolf quoted says 5, so that's the info one would normally go by.
Of course, I'm assuming here that the OP is using an entire Explorer engine, complete with pan. And not his EB's original engine with an Explorer pan.

However, that's why I was wondering 72eb, what happened to the Explorer dipstick? Isn't it in the side of the block's pan rail? Was it somewhere else?
Or are you still using your '72 302 with the Exploder pan? I thought they had a different shaped rail?

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Keep in mind that cars are lower to the ground and suspension/frame components are typical closer to the engine than with the same engine in big trucks. There isn't enough room for big pans in cars. That may also be part of the reason Ford added the oil cooler to the early explorer 5.0. The pan is very faceted so obviously clearances were tight.