• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radio Wiring on Radio Delete Bronc

Prest72

Loc.
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hey Guys - so my 72 was a radio delete. I need some tunes, so how do I go about hooking it up? I assume one wire to the ignition switch....am i missing anything else or is that it? Do i need to hook it to fuse box? battery? any wires under the dash i can tap in to?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Depends on the radio. Most need switched and unswitched power. The radio pigtail will be under the dash, yellow w/black stripe wire. That is your switched power. Cigar lighter, blue w/white stripe wire off the headlight switch is unswitched power.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
so even though my rig is radio delete, I should have those wires? Just tap into those 2 and I'm set?

Yep. Ford didn't waste money developing multiple wiring harnesses. The radio wire is fused but the cigar lighter wire is not. Use an inline fuse there.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
If the radio doesn't include a fuse on the memory wire, read the manual for the spec on power-off draw. If it doesn't list it, it's always VERY small, so the smallest fuse you can find should work. I prefer standard blade fuses which are hard to find under 3A, but if you're still running glass tubes, you should have a 2A spare.

croft75

Depends on the radio. Most need switched and unswitched power. The radio pigtail will be under the dash, yellow w/black stripe wire. That is your switched power. Cigar lighter, blue w/white stripe wire off the headlight switch is unswitched power.

Hi , I know this is an old post but I have just picked up a new radio to put in a tuffy console,
For wiring do i use the yellow with black stripe for switched power and splice the blue with white from the lighter for non switched power to keep the memory.

thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hi , I know this is an old post but I have just picked up a new radio to put in a tuffy console,
For wiring do i use the yellow with black stripe for switched power and splice the blue with white from the lighter for non switched power to keep the memory.

thanks

Sounds like a good plan.

croft75

thanks,

One other question , I just noticed driving around tonight when i turn on the interior light my old Radio light comes on in the number area ? The radio is hooked up but non operational. id that correct?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sure you didn't connect it to the blk-blu wire instead? That's the dome/map light.

reamesc

Loc.
Columbus, GA
know that this is really old but when im installing a new radio like a pioneer that has all the extra wires, what wires do i need to hookup to? there is also an illumination wire that i guess should be untouched or hooked up to dimmer on headlight switch, and the antenna, does it need to be adapted for a new type of radio?
thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
know that this is really old but when im installing a new radio like a pioneer that has all the extra wires, what wires do i need to hookup to? there is also an illumination wire that i guess should be untouched or hooked up to dimmer on headlight switch, and the antenna, does it need to be adapted for a new type of radio?
thanks

It depends on the radio. Most new radios use LEDs for lighting so they probably just want a 12V signal to dim the LEDs. The Bronco light dimmer is going to be something less than 12V. I would just hook that up to the park light wire. But this is just a guess, I can't read your new radio instructions from here.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I'm putting a new radio in my truck right now, and it has an illumination wire. If it's OC, the backlighting stays on full-bright. If it's connected to a varying-voltage circuit, the backlighting dims proportionally to the voltage. The input on that wire doesn't directly power the (multicolor reversible) backlighting; it's just a logical input.

You have to read your radio's instructions carefully. But connecting the radio's ILL wire to the truck's LB/R circuit shouldn't hurt the radio.