• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 rebuild t-shift

Schenkapotomus

Loc.
Covington, WA
Is it possible that a T-shift does not have the c-clip on the front output shaft? I got to the point where you wedge the bearing away from the gear to gain access to the c-clip - but damn if i can find it. There is a solid spinning spacer there instead, it has no openings. Before I tap/bang the bearing out, does this c-clip look like any other c-clip requiring ring pliers?

Thanks

hmh800

My t-shift case did not have a c-clip either. The gear was just press-fit on the shaft. It was in my '68, but not sure if it's the original case. That was the first I had heard of some cases not having the clip. Yours is the second!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yep, T shift lost the snap ring before it went to J shift. Somewhere between serial # 1699356 and 1725743.

OP
OP
Schenkapotomus

Schenkapotomus

Loc.
Covington, WA
Yours is about a '75 so it should be a J shift.

The linkage is for sure t-shift. What other visual clues can help identify it? Is it ok to have t-shift linkage in a j-shift case? Should I keep going forward or get a real t-shift D20?

This will be a DD with slim chance of getting in the woods.

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
My t-shift case did not have a c-clip either. The gear was just press-fit on the shaft. It was in my '68, but not sure if it's the original case. That was the first I had heard of some cases not having the clip. Yours is the second!

Ditto- Its either a middle of production change from the factory, not a stock case, or someone swapped it out. Its better not to have the clip, u can pull the front output with out full disassembly of the case.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The linkage is for sure t-shift. What other visual clues can help identify it? Is it ok to have t-shift linkage in a j-shift case? Should I keep going forward or get a real t-shift D20?

This will be a DD with slim chance of getting in the woods.

It's fine. The cases are identical. You could have either set of gearing though.