• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering pump rebuild

YNOTBOB2007

O.K. call me crazy but I've decided to rebuild the stock power steering pump with a $12 gasket kit instead of buying a new pump....saving me some money but more importantly, saving the awesome Ford pump which turns like a charm. It's a 77 that has had a slow leak getting worse. Lucas did not help. Bought a pulley puller and removed the pump. I'm a little intimidated by the kit....8 gaskets. The instruction diagram looks fairly complicated with a number of springs inside to deal with. Has anyone done this and can share any advice or things to watch for as I disassemble this thing? I'll be getting to it this weekend. Thanks.

66Bronco

Bump for more info-Where to get rebuild kit?

I bought mine from RockAuto.

1974 FORD BRONCO 5.0L 302cid V8 : Steering : Power Steering Pump Rebuild Kit Wiki Price
GATES Part # 348600 More Information About this Part Power Steering Repair Kit

Part Image
* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 3 business days
$11.95

-Terry

OP
OP
Y

YNOTBOB2007

I got mine from Autozone. Did the rebuild and it went pretty smooth. My kit did not include a bushing and you may need one if yours is scratched or damaged. Be careful when removing the rotor and springs/slippers as it's a mouse trap waiting to explode! If it does, just follow the instructions to reassemble. Mine has been running great.