• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rhino exterior

glass 73

hi am new here, just bought a glass 73 bronco, old body with alot of spider cracks and thin gel coat, hate to paint and have it all come back soon after. so i was kicking around either a wrap or rhino the outer shell, but would hate to ruin it forever, any other ideas thanks ,

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
There was a thread a while back,he wrapped his and it looked sweet.It was a camo theme. I haven't seen him on here lately,hope he didn't lose it.

OP
OP
G

glass 73

yes i had seen that looked really good,but i hear you can still see the cracks under the wrap,thats why i thought a spray on liner would seal it up and strengthrn it against more, but if it looks like heck,then i just killed it from any other application, maybe i should just rattle can it every couple years,

chadomatic

Loc.
St Paul
I have seen a couple vehicles painted in bedliner. the ones in color look really cool. The texture gives it a unique look that probably not everyone would like. We have painted some of our truck bumpers with colored line x and it does really well and I like the look of it. Plus it covers alot of imperfections.

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
I say dont do it. I dont like the look of it as paint. If you ever want to sell it, hopefully one of the 13 people that do like that will be in the market, then youd be able to sell it easier. My 2 cents.

JohnnyB77

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
Bed liner will seems like it would add alot of weight, they say that typically it adds about 70 plus pounds to a truck bed, depending on how thick it is sprayed on . I had it on one of my tucks the tailgate alone weighed 15 pound more afterwards.

Moonunit

Loc.
San Marcos
Bed liner will seems like it would add alot of weight, they say that typically it adds about 70 plus pounds to a truck bed, depending on how thick it is sprayed on . I had it on one of my tucks the tailgate alone weighed 15 pound more afterwards.

Unless you spray the stuff on 6 inches thick theres no way you will add any noticeable weight. Ive raptor lined several vehicles and it looks great, very durable, and used roughly gallon to 1.5 gallons total. lookin at roughly 10-15 lbs. added weight spread evenly throughout the truck. If youre that worried about extra weight, take a laxative.

I should specify, I havent lined the exterior of a bronco to know exactly how much it would take, but the entire inside of the tub took about 1.5 gallons. It would also depend on the brand of liner used, I highly recommend raptor liner by Upol if youre doing it yourself. best results by far for DIY

1966bajabronco

They can apply rhino or similar minus the texure. I've had a couple bottoms of aluminum drift boats coated in the past...and believe me the last thing you want on the bottom of a driftboat that use are rowing upriver is texture that add more surface friction. They can also make it harder or softer. I had it applied without texture and as hard as possible for the drift boats so it would slide over rocks.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms

Linex said theirs average about a pound per square foot.

OP
OP
G

glass 73

does anyone have an aged body,snd won the fight on spider cracks,or just paint it and live with it , i really dont want to hurt resale value, cause i bought on a whim and if dont like it , want to be able to resale no problems, and i agree its a small group who think lineing would be cool

ehumaui

I have seen an excursion and my neighbors late model dodge truck done in rhino liner. The question is why!?!

Rc

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
does anyone have an aged body,snd won the fight on spider cracks,or just paint it and live with it , i really dont want to hurt resale value, cause i bought on a whim and if dont like it , want to be able to resale no problems, and i agree its a small group who think lineing would be cool

Maybe check some of the corvette forums. If theres something to help you, Im sure they would know. They've been dealing with fiberglass for a long time.

t120r

You need a flex agent in the paint. My old Canaro had a full fiberglass front. Used to piss me off that I couldn't keep it looking good. Then some old dude told me to use primer with a flex agent. Then do the same with the paint. Lasted a long time after that and looked awesome.

OP
OP
G

glass 73

can you remember name of flex agent,and thanks for all the input, i think i will not rhino it,something about nice shinny paint, guess the cracks are like rust sooner or later they will be back

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you dealing with a fiberglass body? Spider cracks in fiberglass needs panel repair or it will come through the paint. But if you are dealing with spider cracks on a steel panel, you have too many coats of paint and need to strip it down.

As for bed coating the body, resale will go away big time. Most people lookng for a vehicle will run away when they find the body is coated in bed liner. It isn't like you can repaint it like you can do to get rid of 80's neon graphics. That stuff is there forever. But there is the issue that it can only be put on a solid surface. With spider cracking of the paint, you are likly to have spot delamination issues. Chunks of bed liner peeling off. Now what do you do?

OP
OP
G

glass 73

yes the body is glass, and have talked myself out of rhino thanks to you guys and my wife,now to find a decent paint shop in my area,that can be even trickier than trying to remove bedlinerfrom the body