• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel gauge help need

jjordan

I just put a new sending unit in and everything worked fine when fuel tank was just about empty I filled it up And now my fuel gauge stays on full

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Unplug the pigtail at the tank and see if your fuel hand falls down to empty,if it does then more than likely it's like Gerbow said--float must be sticking-- If it stays on full then you may have something wrong at the cluster.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
With the key off the guage should fall to empty. If its not then either the guage is still getting power (which it shouldnt) or the guage is sticking. It shouldnt have anything to do with the sending unit.

You can easly take the guage cluster out and then remove just the fuel guage and check it out. I had mine out the other day for some adjustment. Its pretty easy to remove. Just be careful when you remove the guage cover plate so you dont bend the needle to much. If you do you can bend it straight but remember that the needle is super thin and likes to bend. Once you got the cover plate off the fuel guage you can see everything and watch to see what is maybe sticking.

I would check to make sure you are getting the correct resistance from sending unit before you remove the guage though.