• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

steering column removal

rwill

I am planing to swap my steering column out for an automatic column. Will the dash have to be removed to do this? Also emergency flashers are not working but turn signal do brake lights do I have changed the underdash flasher(both) but no progress. Suggestions?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
steering column should slide through the dash opening once you remove the plastic column cover. There are also two holes so you can easy access the two bolts that hold the column to the cowl section. Then take the 3 bolts off that hold the firewall plate to the firewall. remove the clamp that holds that plate to the column and remove the clamp that holds the column to the steering box. Unhook the shift linkage and the reverse switch. I believe thats everything. Then pull it out through the firewall and dash in one piece.

If you checked the flasher flasher then maybe the switch is craped out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have removed the column with the dash in place. I have also removed the dash with the column in place as well.