• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1990 lincoln 5.0 SD to C4

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wondering if anyone can help, this probably posted but coundnt find anything.

Can you you just drop a 1990 5.0 engine that came with an AOD and hook it up to the C4 auto? or do you need to change the flex plate and / or torque converter. And will it fit behind the radiator, the non HO motors had double new style belts.

I got a 1990 town car for 500.00 and 35,000 original miles not a lot of power but good low end torque. Coundn't pass it up

Thanks

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
You'll need to change to the bigger 164 tooth flexplate, and make sure you get the 50oz. imbalance. It will be identical to what you have stock, but 50 oz. not 28 oz. Use your existing torque converter. If it has a clutch fan, it wont fit behind the radiator. Either remove the clutch or move the core support forward.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks brother, I pulled everything from the Lincoln and the AOD is still attached to the motor. So is the 164 tooth and 50 oz what's stock for the 1990 5.0?
Thanks again you saved me a few hours

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I did a little research, it looks like the Lincoln town car has the bigger flex plate. Sorry for the confusion. I guess it's best to check for your self since you have it there. It looks as if the 82-92 Lincoln's have the 14.23 dia. flex plate.
If that's the case, then your C4 with torque converter will bolt in place of the AOD.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks again I will check it when its apart. The AOD is eventually going in also just time and money

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
Wondering if anyone can help, this probably posted but coundnt find anything.

Can you you just drop a 1990 5.0 engine that came with an AOD and hook it up to the C4 auto? or do you need to change the flex plate and / or torque converter. And will it fit behind the radiator, the non HO motors had double new style belts.

I got a 1990 town car for 500.00 and 35,000 original miles not a lot of power but good low end torque. Coundn't pass it up

Thanks
I have an 87 Lincoln 5.0 w/ C4 does the 1990 have drivers side intake like mine?
imag0418.jpg

Make sure you have the correct starter to line up with the 164 tooth 50oz flex plate.
Check torque converter to flex plate bolt pattern.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The flexplate is correct. If the torque convertor is the odd small bolt circle version, replace the convertor to match the flexplate.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes it is just like yours with the intake on the opposite side from the HO motors. In fact I found your picture to see if I can fit it in that way with my 77s power brakes.

Also thanks for the info on the converter, does the AOD converter work with the C4. The AOD locks up right

Broncobowsher

Total hack
AOD does NOT work on the C4.
The AOD has an unconventional lockup protocal. Where normal convertors have a clutch in the convertor that is controlled by a solenoid, the AOD has a long skinny bypass shaft that direct couples the shell to the direct clutch. gives 60% lockup in 3rd and 100% in 4th. This cannot be adapted to the C4

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
Post some pics with the power brake booster installed. I've been looking to do mine and I think the angle bracket with the smaller booster looks like it might fit.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-12501-extreme-power-brake-booster-setup-1966-77.html[/URL]

Not sure if the hydro boost setup would fit. Hopefully someone on here knows.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Brown gr5. I don't even have the motor in yet so I don't have any pic. It is going to be tight I have the same intake hose you have and it is pretty flexable so it might work. I really don't want to switch the lntake to the other side.
By the way how does the speed density motor pull, does it do OK? And what torque converter did you use

ransil

Bronco Guru
Your stock C4 converter might work, there were 2 converters used in Broncos so you have a good chance yours is going to be Ok to use.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks ransil, I will check hopefully it will.