• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just wandering about wide tires

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
Do Bronco's with 12.50 wide tires wander with the ruts and uneven pavement?

I cant get mine to drive straight. 33x12.5x15, 10" Micky Thompson wheels.
Inspected the linkage, I don't see movement anywhere. The steering box bolts are tight. 1/8 toe, I have new adj. drag link,track bar, 7deg bushings, drop pitman bracket, drop tie rod bracket, new shocks, 2-1/2 lift, 7pack leafs with 1" block.

imag0425.jpg

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Can you post a few more pics? Something looks weird with your upper drag link. 7 degrees see too extreme but I have been wrong before.

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
i have same twidth rims and tires, and Yes it does wander with the road.

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
Nature of the beast. I had like 10 in AT's and they actually wandered more than my 12.5 MT's do.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
The bigger wider tires like a tad more toe. if you have 1/8 toe as stated, try giving it 1/4 to 5/16 toe. Mine doesnt wander at all with 35x12.50 MT's.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is a little wonder simply due to the width, but it shouldn't be anything major. Tire pressure helps as well, 28-30 worked good for me, under 26 wasn't good.

Just because you have 7° bushings doesn't mean you have enough caster, Broncos have a huge build variation and may still be too low. You can easily add 4-5° of caster to improve drivability with no lift. Not bad with power steering.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is that trackbar drop bracket welded to the frame? If it's just bolted, they can flex way more than you'd think. And just a tiny amount of movement in a trackbar can equate to quite a bit of wandering the grooves.

Is that an adjustable trackbar? If so, did you verify your axle was centered?

On a side note, is your steering box centered? They have an on-center spot that can be fairly important to get to as well.
Your pitman arm looks to be pointed pretty much in the correct direction (slightly off to the side) so the box might be perfectly centered, but it's worth double checking sometimes.

Paul

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Okay every looks great. Did you do the plumb bob trick to see if the axle is dead center from right to left after the lift conversion?

OP
OP
B

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
The drop bracket is welded. When I adjust the track bar all the way in it puts the axle 1/2 to the pass side. I took the jam nut off to get it centered perfect. I just noticed it was moving slightly so I put the jam nut back on and drives better but the axle is 1/2" towards pass side. I'll try more toe in and see if that helps.
Should I ditch the drop track arm bracket and drop pitman arm since it's a 2" lift?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like he did.
I would keep the drops myself, but since it's just 2" of lift, you could take them off to see if things improve.
I like the flatter angles, but lots of people get away without them.

Might be worth an experiment at least, but you might also see if you can shorten the trackbar tube that half an inch so you can keep the jam nut but center the axle?
Depends on how it's made of course, but some can be shortened without too much drama. Not sure about yours though. If it's the type with a threaded inert in the end, it might not take to shortening.

Good luck

Paul

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the linkage. Look closely for movement at the steering box. I had a lot of wandering, and it turned out to be a cracked frame. It was right behind the steering box, and it caused the frame to flex.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have had three broncos with 12.5 wide tires. And never had any major wandering. Yeh they didnt track as straight as a new car. One has a 2.5" lift the others had 3.5" lift. My 67 with 3.5" lift used to have a really bad wander when I first got it but it turned out it had a bent radius arm. Thing would catch a rut and put you in a ditch if you were not paying atention. Changed radius arms and bushing and has been fine ever since. My 73 with the 2.5" lift does not have a drop pitman arm or drop track bar bracket and is fine but a do have a little too much pay in the steering box and that can make the steerng a little funny at times. How much pay in the steering box?

OP
OP
B

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
I have had three broncos with 12.5 wide tires. And never had any major wandering. Yeh they didnt track as straight as a new car. One has a 2.5" lift the others had 3.5" lift. My 67 with 3.5" lift used to have a really bad wander when I first got it but it turned out it had a bent radius arm. Thing would catch a rut and put you in a ditch if you were not paying atention. Changed radius arms and bushing and has been fine ever since. My 73 with the 2.5" lift does not have a drop pitman arm or drop track bar bracket and is fine but a do have a little too much pay in the steering box and that can make the steerng a little funny at times. How much pay in the steering box?
Steering box feels tight. It drives great on a good road. Very responsive in the steering wheel. On rutted paved road it feels like the tire rides up a rut and pulls the wheel from your hand.

My 8yr old boy is a champ. He's cranking on the steering wheel while I stare at the linkage some more.....Good times.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I have had 2 sets of wide tires on mine and they both wandered on a wavy road, but drive very well on a good road.

GloNDark

I fought this with my 73 recently. I went from 31"s to 33" and noticed it big time. I ditched the used BFG MT's they were only 20% tread anyway. Went with 33" Duratracs, replaced all the steering linkage, replaced my steering box bolts, and put on a 3.5" Wild horses lift. I however left my drop pitman arm off and the drop track bar bracket and opted to make a custom length track bar instead.

After all that........my 73 drives better than my 02 Dodge 2500 on the highway. hahaha Now i'm chasing the wandering issue on that instead.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wider tires will follow rut more but you should be able to get it to handle good if everything is setup right. You need to check your caster. Mine was within stock specs and handled terrible. I increased the caster to 8 degrees positive and it drives great now.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
What is your tire pressure?
Mine drives sooooooo much better with 29PSI vs. 35 or more. I took my car to have the tires balanced and they guy put 40PSI in without me looking. It drove all over the place until I figured out what happened. I let air out and it made a huge wandering difference.

The other advice given is also good info but tire pressure is an easy check.