• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

28 to 31 on Detroit Soft locker

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Well if you are looking for a ford 9 inch chunk 4:88 gears and a Detroit locker for 31 spline axles for $900 I have it.

Attachments

• 9 inch 001.jpg
    9 inch 001.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 14

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just wondering if its possible to convert a 28 spline Detroit Soft Locker to 31 splines. Thanks

In theory, yes. Just replace the side drivers.
Reality, no. The parts are not available seperatly, you have to buy the whole locker to get the parts.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Huh. From what I've heard, you can source the parts, but that might not be the case. Maybe call Eaton?? I do know that you'd be able to find a used locker for the cost of what you'd end up paying for the parts though.

NateMob

Someone had one listed on Pirate4x4 yesterday for $400 plus shipping.

fordtrucksrule

Well i have a 31 spline detroit locker the case is no good but the internals are good.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Im not even really sure what parts I would actually need . Its the Detroit soft locker if that matters. How much would you want for the guts?

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Someone had one listed on Pirate4x4 yesterday for $400 plus shipping.

To be honest, Im not sold on running the Detroit in the rear. I already have it so I figured if I could convert it to 31 splines I would run it and see how I like it. But the Bronco is mostly a DD so if I cant do it on the cheap then Im just going to get a Tru Trac.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
To be honest, Im not sold on running the Detroit in the rear. I already have it so I figured if I could convert it to 31 splines I would run it and see how I like it. But the Bronco is mostly a DD so if I cant do it on the cheap then Im just going to get a Tru Trac.

Is it already set up in the case? already running it? If yes then keep running it and just save up for something Nice like an ARB for the rear. I had a nice 31 spline ARB but like an idiot I sold it to buy a 35 spl detroit, then I backed out on that deal and ended up buying a 31 spl detroit. Oh well, not that there is anything wrong with it just having a selectable in the rear would have been nice.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu

After having a couple apart I'd think it would be totally possible. You'd just need to swap out the splined pieces that the axles actually slide into. If you could get the guts from one on the cheap I'd think it would be easy to do. If not, you should be able to source those parts from Eaton as every piece inside one of those lockers should be replaceable.

For what it's worth, I love the Detroit in the back of mine on & off road.;D

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Is it already set up in the case? already running it? If yes then keep running it and just save up for something Nice like an ARB for the rear. I had a nice 31 spline ARB but like an idiot I sold it to buy a 35 spl detroit, then I backed out on that deal and ended up buying a 31 spl detroit. Oh well, not that there is anything wrong with it just having a selectable in the rear would have been nice.

The deal is it came in a 74 rear end. The housing was beat to crap so I trashed it. I dont want to buy another Torino style housing just so I can use the 28 spline axles and locker. Im planning on getting a beefed housing and axles from Currie. So if I can convert the Detroit, cool. If not I'll sell the axles and 3rd member to help pay for new stuff.

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
I ran into an issue with the stock open ring gear carriers once. I used to run a 28 spline mini spoll and then wanted to upgrade to 31 spline axles. so i bought a 31 spline mini spool and swapped it into the same carrier. I set up the ring and pinion and installed the center section into the housing and all went well. then I went to install the axles only to find that the diameter of the axle was too large to fit into the carrier that was originally intended for 28 spline axles. the inside diameter of the portion of the carier that the carrier bearings were pressed onto was smaller than the 31 spline axle. So, that being said.... I am not sure if a detroit would be the same way. if the detroit is designed to use the factory carrier bearings for the 28 spline carrier, you may run into this same problem even if you were able to obtain the 31 splined side gears. hope this makes sense.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Yea. It does make sense. Im not sure about the bearings. I was just hoping to get some info. However, I blew the ring gear up on my 79 Bronco 31 spline 9" one time and a friend gave me a 28 spine 3rd member out of his old Econoline van. We swapped out the side gears and everything went together fine. Im just not sure about the detroit and I dont want to take it apart just to find out it wont work, ya know?