• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Gauge - Autometer

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I've searched the forum and I did not find where anyone is using this gauge with a 23 gal tank. http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3093&sid=11

I'm working on a truck for a guy and it has no guage currently. He gave me 2 autometer gauges one is a 0-90ohm (chevy) and the other is a 16-155(late ford). Before I buy other one to add to his collection does anyone have any experience with this gauge or one like it.
it is a 70-10ohm gauge and "should" work but we all know how "should" is not for sure with an EB especially if you look at the wiring nightmare I'm also working with.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I am running a 5715 autometer gauge it is 73ohms empty and 10ohms full works fine with my 23 gallon tank

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
go back and read instructions for that gauge.it takes a full 12 volts not the 5 volts off the IVR.and it say's connect to +12vdc with a fuse.gotta read those instructions.the ohm range is fine but power requirements are diff.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since it's out of the normal instrument cluster area, you'd just run a new power source to it anyway. So don't take it from the IVR and you should be fine.
As mentioned, the gauge is matched to the sender. That's it. So if the sender is set up as a Ford unit, and is set up correctly for the tank, that gauge should be fine.

Do you know the history of the tank? Was it ever hooked up to the factory gauges successfully? Presumably it's the correct sender, but make sure that the guy you're working on it for didn't swap out the sender for a GM rating already.
Doubtful, but it'd be a shame to do all the homework only to end up chasing your tail around the block a few times to get it working.

Paul

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Do you know the history of the tank? Was it ever hooked up to the factory gauges successfully? Presumably it's the correct sender, but make sure that the guy you're working on it for didn't swap out the sender for a GM rating already.
Doubtful, but it'd be a shame to do all the homework only to end up chasing your tail around the block a few times to get it working.

Yeah there in lies the problem. I know no history of the original build. The owner told me the harness is a new centec but it has been butchered. The tank looks new and appears to be from Tom's from the markings I've run a 12v to both the supplied guages and plugged the sender wire (as marked on the harness) to both gauges and they both peg over full. Looks like I'm gonna have to drop the tank to get to the sender and start from scratch. gonna be a fun day laying on my back

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I wouldn't go to the trouble myself. You can "ohm it out" in the tank (just test where it reads now. You should be able to tell what type it is with a single reading I would think. You won't know how accurate, or in what shape it is, with just one reading, but you should be able to tell if it's in the ballpark.
Or, you can just "assume" that since it's a Tom's tank, it's relatively new, has a new-ish sender, and is for a Bronco, and didn't work with the incorrect gauges, that it's correct for the old Ford setup.

Hate to say assume of course, but hey, you're almost at that point by elimination anyway. ;D

Good luck

Paul