• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bedliner Questions

zsmith

Loc.
Fresno
Hello Everyone,

Questions regarding bedlining the tube and undercarriage of my 1970 bronco. How much prep do you all do before the application, I know the more prep the better but I have been wondering how far to go. I have been using a wire brush attachment on my angle grinder and have been roughing up the paint a bit but should I take it all the way down to the metal? Also has anyone had any experience with Lizardskin, it is expensive but I am interested in the sound and heat barrier, is that all hype? What would you all recommend. I want as clean of a look as I can without paying for somebody else to do it.

thanks

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had mine sand blasted to bare metal and epoxy primed before I applied my liner. I was not comfortable spraying over rust.

Attachments

• 1973 rusty tub off frame 005.JPG
    1973 rusty tub off frame 005.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 53
  • explorer motor trans install 012.JPG
    explorer motor trans install 012.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 73 bed liner 003.JPG
    73 bed liner 003.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 65
  • sarahs colston shower and frame painted engine bay lined 006.JPG
    sarahs colston shower and frame painted engine bay lined 006.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 58

rtreads

Loc.
I second that. I had the whole interior of the tub sandblasted to BARE metal on both of my broncos. I Its not too expensive either, $240 on the blue one because the top was on and there was a TON of masking and only $125 on the orange one as i had stripped it down prior. I then used new seamsealer to fill all the seams like before. I used Raptor liner for both of them. Its super easy to use. Just make sure you do all your prep work and it will stick well and last for years!

you see some pics here...
http://coloradoclassicbroncos.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=705

OP
OP
Z

zsmith

Loc.
Fresno
thanks

Yea, I am trying to save as much as I can. I will just keep plugging away with my angle grinder.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
In prepping my bed I used a plastic abrasive cup brush sold by al's liner. I used the smaller 4 inch brush they have 2 sizes. You can purchase it at 4-wheel parts. This brush scuffed everything and worked very well and held up fine. It was invaulable to me and made a very hard chore very easy. Just dont try to run it on a high speed grinder. You will have to come back and prime anywhere you run it to bare metal.

backpain

Bronco Guru
Find my build thread and you'll see all kinds of steps in the process (Lizard Skin and bedliner). Bottom line is - treat it like you are trying to get a good paint finish. Your'e just using bedliner instead of a top coat of paint. Only difference is that you can hide imperfections with texture. Does not have to be sanded smooth. Seam sealer only needed for the medium to large gaps. Pin holes etc can be filled with bedliner. But in any case, ANY rust will eventually be a problem. Your judgment on how long that will take and whether you care.

And even at that, it's all about how perfect you want it. Some substrate texture differences will appear through bedliner.