• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb debate

Diablo54

I am debating on getting a new 4brl Holly carb or just get a rebuild kit for my 67. During the summer it is my DD but during the winter I just take it out on the trails nothing to hard core just like to get out with the family. I have read that many people get a 4brl then go back to the stock. For a stock 289 with a Z5 should I stick with the stock or get myself an early Xmas present?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The stock carb is fine all around useage. I'd probably just rebuild it. Now if you have other mods like headers, a cam ect then a aftermarket intake and carb can help. I do like holleys but I'm sure you'll get other suggestions as well.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Holley is High maintenance. Leave it stock or get a different brand.

%)

I have Holleys on almost every carb'd vehicle I own. build it with reuseable gaskets, tune it right, and forget about it has been my experience

that being said, the stock autolite is a mighty fine carb for a stock motor

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can ask 10 people and prob get 10 diff answers on which carb to get, so here is another to look at if you want to go 4v, the Ford/Autolite 4100, I'v herd nothing but good things about this carb. I will add this, stay away from the Edelbrocks they are great street carbs but suck off-road. I have one and have done all the mods that I could read up on it and still it will flood at the slightest angle.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Holley is High maintenance. Leave it stock or get a different brand.

I've had the exact opposite experience. The Avenger carbs are set it and forget it. They are usually ready to run out of the box. The one Edelbrock carb I ran...now that was a PITA!

OP
OP
Diablo54

Diablo54

I know I will get many different answers on which carb but I wanted to get a wide rage to research. At this point I’m thinking of just getting the rebuild kit and save the money for a new exhaust and possible go to EFI next year.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X-2. Stick with the motorcraft and don't waste your money on a Holley.

I seem to remember the OE Motorcraft carb on my mom's 1984 F20 460 was made by Holley, as were several of the 5.0 HO carbs in the 80's, so when you stay "stick with the Motorcraft", I assume you have some other model numbers in mind? It's never simple, is it?

For the record, I apparently have one of the 670 T/A's that runs just fine, albeit a little rich.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You aint missing anything some people just want to bolt it on and for it to be perfect. Instead of trying to tune them they just say they are bad carbs. Of course they are so bad that holley somehow still sells that same "bad" carb for over 50 years. Few carbs are ever perfect even the stock carbs benefit from tuning as they were tuned for mass produced engines.

Diablo54 I'd say you choice of rebuilding and going with a exhuast is a better choice than doing the intake you'll get more benefit from a better exhuast than you would with a intake/carb

OP
OP
Diablo54

Diablo54

Thanks for all the replays. Who has a good rebuild kit for the stock carb? I am going to try and order it soon have a few free days in the next couple of weeks.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
havent really seen a big differances in carb kits your probably going to be stuck with what ever the parts store has. GP sorenson seems to be the most common out there. I've never had a issue using them. Your local parts store will probably be your cheapest bet you can usually get them for under $20

OP
OP
Diablo54

Diablo54

Got the rebuild kit and started the rebuild last night just have to finish up a few things and reinstall. The carb looked pretty dirty should make it run better now just need to get exauhst going.