• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Dana 20 J shift rebuild

mnido

I am rebuilding my Dana 20 J shift transfer case. After some help from Viperwolf I figured out how to get the allen head screws out of the shift forks, and he also relieved my anxiety about miss placing a interlock pin, the J only has one… My concerns are I want to do this once and do it right. The transfer case worked fine prior to tear down, just want to reseal it. But again I want to do it right. I am also going twin stick. Is the only modification needed for that just to cut the shift rail flags ? I see some people making modifications to their shift rails. Not sure I want or need to do that ??? This is a mostly street vehicle with some very mild trial use ? I am going to check wear and tear but everything appears to be in excellent shape. Also I can't find the link that I used to determine I wanted the twin sticks which explained the benfits and also exaclty what was going on when selecting gears. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Myllo73

I just finished my J shift rebuild with twin sticks and just cut the flags. The shift rail modification is required just to run the twin sticks. There is a thread that talks about the rail modification but I can't remember if it was a T or J shift.

rtreads

Loc.
Twin sticks are worth every penny. Its not as easy to shift as my new f150, but I dont have to site there rocking the bronco and yanking on the lever to get it out of 4L. And you can use the vehicle in new ways being able control each end independent of each other.