• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed output shaft--does this look right?

matts70

Loc.
Northwest Indiana
OK, is there anything wrong with this picture? The Ford shop manual has a picture in which the snap ring appears to be about the same distance away from the transmission housing, but should that snap ring be tight against the housing? IF this looks good, I'm done. If not, I've got a little work to do. (In the picture, it should be in neutral).

trannyoutputshaftbearing2.jpg

trannyoutputshaftbearing1.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's been a long time since I rebuilt one of those but no, it doesn't look right.

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
If its all together theres probably a bearing that has fall'n in the input shaft end. remove in put shaft and check that. snap ring should sit flat against case

Bronco Paul

I found this post wondering the Googles and saw that no-one respond to this but I had the same problem and it turned out to be that the 2nd/3rd synchronizer was in backwards. So I hope that it will help future lost transmission builders!