• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

project bronco rebuild x5

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Seem to be getting alot of questions and info about the work I have been doing on the bronco so figured I would start a thread. I pulled the trigger and decided to put the 1tons under the bronco and figured it would be a good chance to show off how big of a bronco nut I am.
Lol First off I sent my gauge cluster to my a buddy of mine to get some work done on it.
http://classychassisrestoration.com/
1000000435.jpg

1000000433.jpg

1000000469.jpg

Next up I sold my wheels&tires&axles and removed the rear axle then cut all the stuff I didn't need off the 1tons and installed the new to me springs (witch turned out to be very stiff) and the 14bolt.
1000000571.jpg

1000000572.jpg

Then I got ahold of some h1's and ordered my pressed centers and I'm going to have some custom made rock rings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
3 Next up I removed the front axle and they moved to Texas.
IMG_9551.jpg

Then the fun part of fitting the C wedges to the dana60. There made for a dana30/dana44 but you can ether grind them to fit around the axle tube or buy or make spacers. If you have a 78-79 60 it's a easy swap...sadly I didn't and I didn't have duff/cage arms so the swap was a pain. Fist step was to grind the side of the wedges to fit between the housing and inner knuckle. With help from a buddy they where knocked out in no time!
1000000599.jpg

They still didn't fit so I cut 3/8" off the housing that was not doing anything anyway and that did the trick.
1000000595.jpg

Some people will go to town and cut at the end of the spring pad but I was sick of fiddling with it and didn't see the point sense they fit.
1000000598.jpg

1000000610.jpg

1000000612.jpg

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your cluster turned out nice.

Wow! Four 4' Bronco scripts in your wheels...you probably meant inches, not feet. How wide is your 14-bolt flange to flange? Why leafs over links?

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Around this time I had code enforcement called on me and I had 3 days to get it on tires again or they will fine me. But the guy was cool and willing to work with me sense he knew I was working on it and waiting on parts. I had ordered some things from ruffstuff witch they where out of stock on so it took a week to get.. but got the track bar in (witch I need to re due for obvious reasons) but it will do for now for it's short trip where it's getting more tube up front and 14" fox air shocks. But I want to run 16" coilovers in the front and the airshocks in the back,so I'm going to fab the shock hoops around 16"coilovers and then put the air shocks up front...or I might just fab it up for the 14"s cus when I put the coil overs in I'll be throwing those crappy arms in the scrap pile and might be running 42's or 44's by then and the extra 2" of lift might be needed.
1000000683.jpg

1000000682.jpg

1000000685.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Well it's back on the ground! How do you like my flipped h1's? Lol The trackbar is 2" from the housing and I need at least 5.5" or shoot in front of the axle but not sure how that will work...I really didn't want to lift the bronco but the 60 housing is huge!! Lol
1000000714.jpg

1000000716.jpg

1000000713.jpg

1000000711.jpg

and that's where i am now!

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Your cluster turned out nice.

Wow! Four 4' Bronco scripts in your wheels...you probably meant inches, not feet. How wide is your 14-bolt flange to flange? Why leafs over links?

lol i ment 4''
wms to wms is 67''
and the dana60 is 68.5''

cus i cant afford to link it right now, i have almost eveything to do it but rodends and martial (the spendy stuff)

sadly i had some major medical stuff come up and im broke

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just bought a ton (almost literally) of DOM...I know what you mean. That first picture from the rear of your rig made the 14-bolt look narrowed due to the H1 wheels. What overall width are you shooting for outside of tire to outside of tire?

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lookin good, keep up the good work.

With full width axles why did you need to flip the H1s??:?

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
I just bought a ton (almost literally) of DOM...I know what you mean. That first picture from the rear of your rig made the 14-bolt look narrowed due to the H1 wheels. What overall width are you shooting for outside of tire to outside of tire?

I dunno, wider the better. Lol with the pressed centers the h1s will have 3.5" of back spacing and I'll be running 38.5/12.50x16.5 sadly for now. So I'll have about half the tire sticking out passed the body.

Lookin good, keep up the good work.

With full width axles why did you need to flip the H1s??:?
Cus stock h1's have 0 back spacing and will hit the brake line and tie rod.

Thanks for the complaments guys!

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
As for other bronco script ideas I have,
I'm going to get a solid 14bolt diffcover and put it in the CNC at work and cut out the solid and carve out the script.
I will Also make a cover for the upper Tbird intake sense I can't find anyone that makes one.
And I want to put the "Utah bronco club" stickers along the bed

I'm not sure if I can afford them but I also want the sexton offroad bronco script drive flange's and the script gauges and fairlead.
And thinking about getting the valve covers.

But I still need to get ether a 1350 slip yoke or a 1410 and the chevy calipers and find a ujoint for the front first to get it up and moving first and with doctors taking my money it might be awile.

Last edited:
OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Ordered more parts.
Got the offset trackbar bracket,diy knuckle bracing kit,pinyon gard,1410 endyoke,slip yoke&ujoint,

And got the front driveshaft hooked up and got my centers in and started working on my boss's buggy so as soon as that's done I can take the bronco over and do the tube work for the air shocks.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Well my parts came in...I'm not happy with the ruffstuff bracket..It's a 1/2 difference at best and the trackbar still shoots above the center section...but I love there pinyon gard.
IMG_7689.jpg

And I bought a 1410 slip yoke off eBay but he sent me a 1350.