• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door stuck

n10ec

Loc.
Knoxville
My driver side door will not open. Was working fine until I closed it yesterday (had to shut it hard as usual) and now it will not open. Seems that the lock will not disengage. I've got the panel off but cant figure out how to get it open. Any help would be greatly appreciated...tired of getting out on the passenger side...and it aint easy.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Sometimes the latch mechanism is dirty and causes the need for more pressure to be put on the linkage rod to the handle. The rod will flex and the door will not open. Take your door latch out and clean it real good. check for working problems. Lube it with some light oil and reinstall. If it works, great if not you may need to bend / shorten the linkage rod. This should take the play out of the latch and hopefully it will work.

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
I have had this happen when i locked the door but did not get it shut all the way.. if you want to see how it works.. take the other door panel off and watch the parts move, then you will see what you need to do to unjam the door.. sometimes you can put your key in the door and just keep trying it over and over and it will unlock and start working again.

sometimes even tapping on the door and then trying it again will be enought to get it going again.. lol

Last edited:

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
This happened to me this week.....from the outside...push the door in hard while also pushing the latch button (or whatever you call it) on the handle. Then release the button before releasing the door. That's what got it to release for me.

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I got it open using the leverage from a screwdriver on a small lever that connects to the inside door handle. Remove the inside door handle and put some good pressure on that lever it should open the door. May sure your in the unlocked position. Once i got it apart, I cleaned it up and greased it works good as new now! You can also adjust rod to change the button feel while your in there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

n10ec

Loc.
Knoxville
Thanks for the input. I got inside the door and finally found the latch to manually open the catch. I am pretty sure my window track was pushing too tight against the latch and causing the problem (since I had to repair that yesterday!) Anyway...it works now...Thanks!

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
sorry to revive an old thread, but can someone show me a diagram pointing the the manual release trigger people are referring to?