• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 problem

dblooseven

Hello to all wondering if someone might have an idea what could be wrong with a Dana 44 before I tear into it. If I crawl under and turn the front driveshft by hand with both front hubs unlocked the driveshaft will bind at a certain spot. If I turn it through this spot the housing will deflect downward about a quarter or half an inch then back up. The driveshaft then turns free till it gets back to the same spot and repeats the deflection. Curious what I need to get before I tear into it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
Try it with the DS disconnected and see what it does. Also turn each tire with it in the air to see if you feel anything. If its the same deal pull it apart and inspect before picking up parts.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Could be some of your gear teeth are toast. I'd remove the diff cover and repeat the process you already did. If the teeth on the ring gear are messed up you'll be able to see it. Could be something messed up in the TC as well, which if you remove the driveshaft like Zillicon said you could narrow it down between the two.

fordtrucksrule

if i were you i would try the easyest thing first disconnect the driveshaft and and then try to to turn the pinion gear.