• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

body lift question

Country_Rd

Loc.
Pflugerville
hey ya'll i was thinking about installing a 1'' body lift.
I chose a 1" because I read that it gives you the most bang for your buck without modifying much of anything else. is this true? also, what is the scope of this project? is this something a beginner can pull off? what other mods will i have to do?

thanks

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
Soak the body bolts for day or so with PBR bolt blaster, have some 2x4 blocks cut, a recip saw handy, a BF hammer, make sure small children and women are out of ear shot of the foul words you may blut out during the process.

OP
OP
C

Country_Rd

Loc.
Pflugerville
that bad huh? the truck spent most of its time on the salty roads of colorado so im sure those bolts are nice and rusy. broken bolts are in my near future im sure!! anyone have any tricks to get those broken bolts out? also is this going to be to much of a pain in the a$$ for 1" of lift?

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
On the 75 I had to cut them in half through the rubber with a Dewalt recip saw, and tear them out in pieces. It was ugly, real ugly.

70_Steve

Old Guy
As was said, soak the bolts in PB Blaster or similar. Then forget trying to unscrew the bolts, and just cut through the original body mounts with a sawzall!!!

I put a 4x6 block, same length as the rocker, underneath the rocker and put a slight pressure on one side of the body. That way, when I cut through the body bolts, the body seperated slightly from the mounts. Easy to get out what's left of the old mounts, and easy to get in the new mounts.

Do one side at a time, and leave the body bolts a little loose on the first side. When finished the second side you'll find that there's a little play in how the body aligns with the frame. Take some measurements, square up the body on the frame (ratcheting tie down = poor man's come-along), then bolt it down tight.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Your bolts may screw out easier than you think. The hardest part on mine was removing the seats and flooring. A pneumatic impact really helps but isn't mandatory. Even with the bolts out, the mounts are a pain because 6 of the 8 have steel sleeves that are still going to be attached to the frame. I read about using a really big hammer or dumbell to knock the bushing loose. Thet's too much work! Do yourself a huge favor and buy, borrow, or rent a Sawsall with a 6" blade to cut through the bushing & sleeve after the bolt is out.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I second the wildhorses bushings with the 1" body lift built in. There factory looking and you wont even notice the 1"! Well worth the money instead of stacking a block on top of the body mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 94

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I was like all worried about doing the body lift since I like to keep my '71 stock appearing. But then I got to REALLY thinking it through and realized there was nothing but advantages. And it turned out that 1 inch really only affects the throttle on carbs, the clutch pedal to equalizer on manuals, and the shroud (on some). That's about it. You don't need no stinkin' Sawzall either. Just twist the bolts off if you have to, and bend and twist off the lower washers. 2x 4 under the rockers and lift. Be sure and ignore pleas to put tape over the hole in the frame on the middle mount and drop the spacer sleeve into the frame. This is required for the complete body lift experience.