• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aero Gas tank install questions

mnido

When you installed your Aero 23 gallon tank did space yours like the photos attached ? I have about an inch of clearance between the tank and cross member. I did this to utilize the existing holes in the frame. Also did you bench test your fuel tank sending unit / guage prior to install ? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 306

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Do you mean between the tank mount and frame ?

No, on the top of the tank. I didn't like the top of the tank sitting right up against the tub, but you might be able to slip some between the frame and tank. Mine fits very tight between the frame rails but it doesn't rub. The hanger seems to keep it centered pretty well. The hangers are just that, hangers, so you have to tighten it up pretty good to secure it and keep it from jiggling around. I also placed rubber straps between the hanger and the bottom of the tank. The rubber straps came off the stock tank hanger. I ground the pump and sending unit to the frame since it now sort of insulted.

You're lucky to be doing this without the body attached. That sucker was a bear to get up in there with the hoses clamped on. I couldn't see anyway to reach the hose clamps after the tank was installed, so I clamped them on really tight and set the tank at angle to start the hoses between the body and the frame. I jacked up the other side with a floor jack and laid on my back and used my legs and feet to push it up into place while I jacked it up. It fell off the jack a couple times and I cussed a bit. Not the most fun project I've ever done. When you're working by yourself you have to use what you've got. I hope I never have to remove it again, but I've done it couple times now so I have it down to a science. :-X

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The nice thing about the brackets on an Aero tank is you can put spacers between them and the frame if you don't have a body lift. I used short pieces of 3/4" Unistrut until I was able to do the 1" body lift. I really think the Aero is the best tank available with this mounting method. It gives the ability to adjust without sacrificing tank width for a sliding bracket.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

The nice thing about the brackets on an Aero tank is you can put spacers between them and the frame if you don't have a body lift. I used short pieces of 3/4" Unistrut until I was able to do the 1" body lift. I really think the Aero is the best tank available with this mounting method. It gives the ability to adjust without sacrificing tank width for a sliding bracket.

I actually ordered it with a 1'' body lift figured in. Now to figure the plumbing for a single tank, electric pump, carbureted.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Did you guys flush out your tanks prior to installation ?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I just shook mine upside down to get the dingleberries out. No fuel contamination issues for the thirty years since changing out both tanks. I just replaced the original little carb mounted filter with a bigger inline one.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would definitely check the sending unit with your system. That way you can make any changes to the unit (bending the arm, etc.) or determine it's compatibility before you get too far.
In your case though mnido, I'd say you have a while before the rest or your gauge system is up and running!

About the only thing you can do then is to check the ohm readings at different float levels and to make sure it's sized properly to the tank. You won't be able to see what the gauge will actually read until you've got your electrical system all plumbed in and hooked up to the gauge itself.

Paul

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Ok is that better then the Sherman tank?

It's just different, but they have a LOT of options you can custom order - Carb, EFI, Skid Plate, etc. The mounting is probably the simplest out there.

Aero will do group buys, there was just on by NorCal Broncos.

marklc

Contributor
I just put one in and they made it for me for a 2" body lift with a bulit in skidplate. Im happy with it. Did not try gauge yet as I have no dash or gauges installed so keeping my fingers crossed. I did put a little gas in it and rolled it around to clean it out but it was pretty clean right from Aero. Price was good I thought too.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey

Did you guys flush out your tanks prior to installation ?

No rig is complete without some Unistrut on it;D I was raised on the stuff.
I modified mine from WH with strut on the side so I could mount it solid and also have a place to attach a skid plate (when I get to that point%)).

After my mods I powdercoated it then coated the inside with the KBS system, I'm hoping I never see a problem down the road.

Jim W.

Attachments

• DSC00260.jpg
    DSC00260.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 114

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I put a 3/4" slats on top of my BC tank, removed after final fit. One inch would be better. Do this in case you decide to put in your backseat, the bolts come thru the floor a lil bit depending on what bolt you use. I also used lots of loktite.

Last edited: