• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New type of axle seal?

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
My Dana 30 inner axle seal decided to finally begin leaking. While not looking forward to digging out the ring and pinion to get the inner seal out of the Dana 30 out, I heard of an outer axle seal that can double as a dust protector with the ability to keep the fluid in. Does anyone know the company who makes these?

OP
OP

68Olblue

Loc.
Auburn
They sell just the standard axle seals, but I am looking for an outer ring that seals in the fluid as well. My buddy told me he saw it as a commercial or one of those new products on extreme 4x4

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I think the seal you need is Seals-It I think your best bet it to replace the inner seals. If you install a Seals-It seal it will keep the oil in the axle tube. The oil will not be able to get back into the pumpkin. You will have to add oil to the pumpkin till the tube is filled.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the seal you need is Seals-It I think your best bet it to replace the inner seals. If you install a Seals-It seal it will keep the oil in the axle tube. The oil will not be able to get back into the pumpkin. You will have to add oil to the pumpkin till the tube is filled.

What Allen said. Install one of the outer aftermarket 'dirt and water seals' if you want to (I never have and don't see the point, but they seem to be popular with the Jeep folks), but under no circumstances plan on or expect it to serve as the only seals for the dif center lube; that is and must always be the job of the inner seals.....as designed.