• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thinking of A/c, anyone heard of coldmaster inc?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Never heard of them.
Take the left over christmas boxes and make a box that size and see how well if fits under th dash. From some of my trial and error I couldn't fit a box roughly that size under the dash very well. No way it would clear a NP435 shifter no matter what.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's an awesome price. You could get their evap, condenser, and sanden compressor and have less than $400 in it.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm thinking one of these would mount very nicely between the speaders on a roll cage...

$(KGrHqIOKnUE3ZOUKty-BN3Wf5kBUQ~~_12.JPG

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm kind of like the rest of you .. That's the cheapest I've seen in years. But it's also the price I think one should cost. But me with my NP435 not sure if it'd fit in the center But maybe Taco could suck up his feet and live with the crowded leg room in pass side area. After all 95% of the time it's just me and Taco.
... Some of those evap were just 79.00 .. Then get a compressor kit and a condenser and you should be good to go.
..Wonder what CFM ONE OF OUR normal units puts out.

OP
OP
F

first timer

well, i made a box roughly that size and it appears to be a tight fit. my kc switch is mounted underdash and was in the way so i couldn't get a true idea. also wasn't sure of the orientation as to which measurement was depth. so basically, i only know a little more than yesterday.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was thinking of rear air also. They have a unit with A/C only for $79. I think it would fit under the rear seat.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I don't know but what the evap is total junk or how much cold air it would put out but for $79 bucks I think a person could hit the junk yard and get all the other parts and get cheap A/C. Some things you would need is compressor, condensor, brackets, dryer, hoses and the right fittings.

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Chuck,
I have your AC setup up. Could I use this evap and run it inline with the system like the new suvs with rear air or would it have to have a separate condenser and other parts? I don't know much about this stuff but seems like it might work.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I don't know about you guys but I really don't want to scrounge thru the junkyard looking for all the stuff and trying to make it fit. I kind of like opening a box and installing it with a minimum of problems. I put a value on my time so I'm willing to pay for the added value in a kit someone else has put time and effort into developing.

Jim W.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Chuck,
I have your AC setup up. Could I use this evap and run it inline with the system like the new suvs with rear air or would it have to have a separate condenser and other parts? I don't know much about this stuff but seems like it might work.

I have never worked with a duel system so I don't know how they stop the freon flow from one unit and not the other or how the keek one unit from freezing up. One compressor two t-stats wouldn't work.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Dual A/C units almost always require expansion valves and not orfice tubes.
They have to run parallel (Tee the liquid line and Tee the suction line).
Usually cycle the compressor off the low side pressure, not evaperator temperture.
This will allow the non-running system to just sit still. The expansion valve all but stops the flow of freon since the evaporator is cold. The compressor will cycle correctly. With the expansion valve, whichever system is putting heat into the evaporator the expansion valve will regulate the flow of liquid freon. Pressure switch handles the low side pressure regardless of how it is filling up.

You will need to be sure the condensor and compressor are large enough.
Too small of a condensor and it won't be able to reject the heat, very true since you will have multiple inputs. Too large isn't an issue other then finding enough room to install it. Modern A/C systems keep going to larger and larger condensors that make them more and more efficient. Then you need a large enough compressor to pull the low side down on both evaporators. A/C compressors don't really matter about compressing, it is pulling the vacuum that they need to do in order to work right. The high pressure side is a byproduct of the desired low pressure you really want them to be making.

The big question is if the compressor and condensor have enough capacity to take on a second evaporator? Follow that up with the engine cooling system being able to deal with that much more heat in front of the radiator?

deadfish

Happen to have a complete NOS set-up for 76-79 Econoline 351 motor.condensor, brkts, hoses,dryer,compressor&clutch,crank pully&idler,evaporator,controls,duct hose&vent.All ford parts.If anyone is interested.Tasker has seen it.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you read the fine print, it says "this is not a stand alone unit, you will also need a compressor and condenser" which means you'll need brackets, hoses, etc also. Now you're up to at least $500 unless you're just adding it to an existing system